Qlik Introduces a New Era of Visualization! READ ALL ABOUT IT
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mr_Pearl
Creator II
Creator II

Qlik Sense QPI - upgrade Postgres to v14.8 Currently using both C drive and D drive. Request for clarification

Hi,

We currently have Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows May 2022 version and our current postgres version is 9.6. We are planning to upgrade Postgres to 14.8 and then upgrade Qlik Sense to May 2023. When planning our upgrade for Postgres 14.8 we ended with some queries.

Currently we are using 2 drives

1. C drive  "C:\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\9.6". Total size is around 4.5GB. 

2. D Drive "D:\Qlik\Repository\PostgreSQL\9.6" (Total size 65MB.) containing following folders "bin", "lib","share","StackBuilder". 

We dont have any Postgres related files within our C Drive program files. Please see attached images. 

We are following this link : Upgrading and unbundling the Qlik Sense Repository... - Page 2 - Qlik Community - 1934238

In step 7, 8, and 9 what should be the paths we should enter?

We do not want to end up with unnecessary folders lying around after the upgrade either. Please advice how we should upgrade and what paths we should provide in step 7,8, and 9 in above link.

We are planning to use QPI tool v1.3. And We would like to maintain existing folder structure.

Please let me know if you need more info.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jack_Guo
Support
Support

Hi @Mr_Pearl ,

thanks for the info.

7. Define your Database backup path and click Next.

>>> you can go with D:\Backup

8. Define your Install Location (default is prefilled) and click Next.

>>> it's better to set "D:\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\14.8" if you don't want to change the folder structure.

9. Define your database data path (default is prefilled) and click Next.

>>> it's better to set "C:\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\14.8" if you don't want to change the folder structure.

Question: "After completing upgrades, should I manually delete all 9.6 folders?"

Answer: yes, you can delete all 9.6 folder after QPI installed and Qlik Sense running fine but make sure you have a file or server backup before for that.

I hope this helps

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Jack_Guo
Support
Support

Hi @Mr_Pearl ,

I hope this help.

When you launch the QPI, it detects any already existing PostgreSQL setup and starts the upgrade process. If no PostgreSQL setup is detected, the QPI starts the installation process.

The default installation path is C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\14. Data for the new database is stored at C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\14\data.

You can change these paths, as long as they don't use the old path: C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\12.5. The change of paths is made to decouple PostgreSQL from Qlik Sense and facilitate maintenance and upgrading. With this change there is no dependency on upgrades to Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows. Any attempt to use the old installation path is automatically prevented to avoid issues with the database being interpreted as bundled by the installer when upgrading.

More details refer to

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense-admin/May2023/Subsystems/DeployAdministerQSE/Content/Sense_DeployA...

Mr_Pearl
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi @Jack_Guo  Thank you for your response. But I do not understand what you mean. Let me please give you more info. From the attached images in my original post you could see what is our current folder structure (our predecessor installed this structure). I have a requirement of not to change this structure. 

I think in steps 7,8, and 9 in the link ( Upgrading and unbundling the Qlik Sense Repository... - Page 2 - Qlik Community - 1934238) we have to provide different paths. Given my current folder structures what paths would you enter in steps 7, 8 and 9. 

Since step 7 is just backup, I think I can go with D:\Backup ?

What should I enter for Step 8 and Step 9?

For example, if I enter below,

Step 8 :  D:\Qlik\Repository\PostgreSQL\14.8

Step 9 :  C:\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\14.8

would this work? is it inline with our existing folder structure? Am I changing anything drastically from existing folder structure?

From the images (in originally post) can you tell which drive currently has "database installation folder" and "database data folder"?

After completing upgrades, should I manually delete all 9.6 folders?

Kind Regards,

Jack_Guo
Support
Support

Hi @Mr_Pearl ,

thanks for the info.

7. Define your Database backup path and click Next.

>>> you can go with D:\Backup

8. Define your Install Location (default is prefilled) and click Next.

>>> it's better to set "D:\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\14.8" if you don't want to change the folder structure.

9. Define your database data path (default is prefilled) and click Next.

>>> it's better to set "C:\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\14.8" if you don't want to change the folder structure.

Question: "After completing upgrades, should I manually delete all 9.6 folders?"

Answer: yes, you can delete all 9.6 folder after QPI installed and Qlik Sense running fine but make sure you have a file or server backup before for that.

I hope this helps

Mr_Pearl
Creator II
Creator II
Author

@Jack_Guo  Thank you.