Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madmax88
Creator II
Creator II

Two different date formats in one excel file

Hi,

I have an Excel file with 2 differet date formats:

Example:

Number              Dateformat

5                        01.01.2017

2                        01-JAN-2017

I tried in the script the function

Date(Date#(Dateformat, 'DD-MMM-YYYY'), 'DD.MM.YYYY')

Then it changes the date from number 2 in the correct date (01.01.2017). But the date of number 5 now disappears in the app-->Only the date of number 2 appears in the correct date Format (DD.MM.YYYY), but not the date of number 5. How can i set the function that both Dates are in the app?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

The NULL result (the - is just a placeholder for NULL) will be caused through the date() which couldn't handle this input.

You could also try the following:

alt(Date(Date#(Dateformat, 'DD-MMM-YYYY'), 'DD.MM.YYYY'), Dateformat)

- Marcus

View solution in original post

7 Replies
marcus_sommer

Try it with:

Date(alt(Date#(Dateformat, 'DD-MMM-YYYY'), Date#(Dateformat, 'DD.MM.YYYY')), 'DD.MM.YYYY')

- Marcus

madmax88
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Doesnt work. Only the Dates of number 2 appearing. The Dates from number 5 are showed as "-"..

In script i did the following:

Date(alt(Date#(Dateformat, 'DD-MMM-YYYY'), Date#(Dateformat, 'DD.MM.YYYY')), 'DD.MM.YYYY') as Dateformat

marcus_sommer

It seems that your value is different in some way - try to check it's real value maybe with: num(), len() or trim(). How is your default date-format defined?

- Marcus

madmax88
Creator II
Creator II
Author

my Default date Format is 'DD.MM.YYYY';

If i dont Change the Format in script i get following in a table

Number         Date

1                   01.01.2017

2                   01-JAN-2017

When i insert ur formula (Date(alt(Date#(Dateformat, 'DD-MMM-YYYY'), Date#(Dateformat, 'DD.MM.YYYY')), 'DD.MM.YYYY') as Dateformat)

i get following

Number      Date

1                  -

2                01.01.2017

marcus_sommer

The NULL result (the - is just a placeholder for NULL) will be caused through the date() which couldn't handle this input.

You could also try the following:

alt(Date(Date#(Dateformat, 'DD-MMM-YYYY'), 'DD.MM.YYYY'), Dateformat)

- Marcus

_armoco_
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Max,

I had something like this a few weeks back and my issue was 01.01.2017 being interpreted as MM.DD.YYYY by the excel instead of DD.MM.YYYY even though I made sure that it was formatted in DD.MM.YYYY.

See this thread: Date issues

Try selecting the cell in excel and selecting long date & short date to see how exactly excel is interpreting the date

Regards,

Arjun

madmax88
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi,

@Marcus: Your formula works! Thanks

@Arjun: When i set Change the Format in Excel, it doesn't recognize the Format 01-JAN-2017 as date. It takes it as Text.