Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lokesh_5045
Creator
Creator

Variable expansion is not working in Rangesum()

Hi all, I am new to the qlik sense. I have created a variable i = 1 and used in the calculated dimension as below.

Let i = 1;
Let vI = 'I_M'&'$(i)'; // I_M1

If($(vI) < 30, RangeSum(       (Q_M$(i) / 30) * Mod(Round($(vI)),30),
If($(vI) < 60, RangeSum(        Q_M$(i) ,        (Q_M$(=i+1)/30) * Mod(Round($(vI)),30)),
If($(vI) < 90, RangeSum(        Q_M$(i),         Q_M$(=i+1),           (Q_M$(=i+2) / 30) * Mod(Round($(vI)),30)),'NA')))
as IT_Apr_2023

The above expansion should look like this;

If(I_M1 < 30, RangeSum(       (Q_M1 / 30) * Mod(Round(I_M1),30),
If(I_M1 < 60, RangeSum(        Q_M1 ,        (Q_M2 / 30) * Mod(Round(I_M1),30)),
If(I_M1 < 90, RangeSum(        Q_M1,         Q_M2,           (Q_M3 / 30) * Mod(Round(I_M1),30)),       'NA')))
as IT_Apr_2023

But it is giving error as below.

Lokesh_5045_0-1686087315720.png

Q_M$(i) is expanding like Q_M1. But Q_M$(=i+1) is throwing error like 'Q_M' field is not found.

Please help me how can I increase the value of 'i' within the expression.

Labels (4)
15 Replies
Lokesh_5045
Creator
Creator
Author

@marcus_sommer I had the data in form of straight table. But all my formulae are based on months. So I changed the table to crosstable with Months as fields. Now in my formulae, I have to add the values associated to those months.

There are 4 fields in my straight table. Material, Fiscal_Month, Quantity, Norm_days

For example,
if ( norm_days associated with April < 120, sum of quantity (April, May, June) + July Quantity * mod(norm_days, 30) / 30)

if ( norm_days associated with May < 120, sum of quantity (May, June, July) + Aug Quantity * mod(norm_days, 30) / 30)

So to write those formulae, I converted Months as fields using generic load. Then I am using Rangesum() to add quantity values associated with those months.

marcus_sommer

Like above hinted it's solvable within normal data-structures with interrecord-functions within appropriate sorted resident-loads, for example you may apply: 

rangesum(peek('Quantity', -1), peek('Quantity', -2), peek('Quantity', -3)) as Rolling3Months

within a first load and within a second load with the months reversed sorted something like:

previous(Quantity)

to get all relevant information for the calculation on a single level. You may need here an there some further conditions to respect any related dimensionality and/or some more steps but in general it should work. You may just start step by step to comprehend the logic and data. If you have a larger dataset it would be helpful to extract a sub-set of it and developing the logic within an extra dummy-application. 

Lokesh_5045
Creator
Creator
Author

@marcus_sommer @snibrahim1993 I am having the below data. I need to calculate Target field for those materials which have norm

Target field formula:
If (norm < 30, Quantity * mod(norm, 30) / 30,
if( norm < 60, Quantity + Quantity (add months, 1) * mod(norm, 30) / 30,
if( norm < 90, Quantity + Quantity (add months, 1) + Quantity (add months, 2) * mod(norm, 30) / 30,
if( norm < 120, Quantity + Quantity (add months, 1) + Quantity (add months, 2) + Quantity (add months, 3) * mod(norm, 30) / 30
if( norm < 180, Quantity + Quantity (add months, 1) + -----+ Quantity (add months, 4) + Quantity (add months, 5) * mod(norm, 30) / 30 )))))) as Target

The data looks like below.

Material Month Quantity Norm Target
A Apr 8 56  
A May 4 28  
A Jun 7 157  
A Jul - 89  
A Aug 4 67  
A Sep - 176  
A Oct 3 - NA
A Nov 4 - NA
A Dec 2 - NA
A Jan 5 - NA
A Feb 4 - NA
A Mar 8 - NA

I will explain one example. Lets take A and Month =  Jun
Norm = 157 = 5 * 30 + 7)

Target = Quantity of 5 months from June + Quantity of 6th month * mod(157, 30) / 30
Target = Quantity (Jun + Jul + Aug + Sep + Oct) + Quantity (Nov) * 7 / 30
Target = 7 + Null + 4 + Null + 3 + 4*7/30 = 14.93

Lokesh_5045
Creator
Creator
Author

I haven't used set analysis much before. That's why I converted the data into cross table with Months as field names. So that I can add field by field using RangeSum(). Formula Script has to be written in editor.

marcus_sommer

I think the norm-query and their impact to the number of month which should be to consider within the accumulation could be included in the mentioned logic, with something like:

rangesum(Quantity', peek('Quantity', -1) * -(N<2), peek('Quantity', -2) * -(N<3), ...) as RollingNMonths

whereby N is something like: ceil(norm / 30) created one step before or maybe the logic is assigned to a variable.

Lokesh_5045
Creator
Creator
Author

@marcus_sommer  @snibrahim1993 

Thank you. I understood that we can't increase Variable values while using in dimensions. We can only call dimensions associated with those variables.

So, I used 12 variables for 12 months and used them in my script as below.

Lokesh_5045_0-1686165636436.png

Lokesh_5045_1-1686165670344.png

I know this is not a great approach to solve and I don't have that much knowledge and experience to use above mentioned functions. I need time to learn all those things. Right now, this approach serves my purpose. Now I again convert this table to cross-table as you said and use them for front end visualizations.