Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karsalad
Contributor
Contributor

Variables

Is it only way to insert variables in the application layer as binary load not carry forward the variables?

What is the best practice of using variables/writing them : Front End or else in the data load editor itself?

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Digvijay_Singh

I think it depends on where do you want to process your variables. Sometimes you need variables to execute based on your selections in the app, in that situation variables defined in script won't work as desired. Variables for example data connection names, or anything which is nothing to do with App usage could be defined in the script.

One very important factor I always consider is variable maintenance. If you need to update variable definition and if its defined in the script, you will need app reload but Front-end defined variables can be updated and effect can be observed without app reload.

May be other users can share some more use cases based on their experience or in case I don't recall at this moment.

View solution in original post

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I find the best practice to create variables in the load script, using an external file as source.

-Rob

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Digvijay_Singh

I think it depends on where do you want to process your variables. Sometimes you need variables to execute based on your selections in the app, in that situation variables defined in script won't work as desired. Variables for example data connection names, or anything which is nothing to do with App usage could be defined in the script.

One very important factor I always consider is variable maintenance. If you need to update variable definition and if its defined in the script, you will need app reload but Front-end defined variables can be updated and effect can be observed without app reload.

May be other users can share some more use cases based on their experience or in case I don't recall at this moment.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I find the best practice to create variables in the load script, using an external file as source.

-Rob