Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rittermd
Master
Master

Weird Expression Behavior

I have created a straight table where the Dimension is a variable and controlled from a list box.  Works great mostly.

I have a measure called Average Age that is Avg(Aggr(SUM(DISTINCT Age),PatientID)). 90% of the time it calculates correctly for each dimension value.  In some cases it is 100% correct.

However, in a couple of cases it only calculates for a few of the Dimension values and then is blank for others.  I have checked the raw data and I don't see any difference that would cause this. 

If I just pick the dimension value that has no Age value showing then the correct age shows up.  However, if I go back to displaying all of the values then it is blank.

I realize that this description is very high level and probably confusing. 

Here is a more detailed example. 

1.  I pick Primary Program from the list box.  The table refreshes and I have 4 rows (1 for each Primary Program).  The Avg Age is displayed correctly for each row.

2.  I pick Secondary Program from the list box.  The table refreshes and I have 9 rows (1 for each Secondary Program).  The Avg Age is correct for 8 of the rows.  One row has the Avg Age blank.  The raw data behind this looks fine. I see no difference between this row that is not working and the others that are working.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

What dimensions do you have in your chart. Can you try this:

Avg(Aggr(NODISTINCT Sum(DISTINCT Age),PatientID))

UPDATE: If this doesn't work, would you be able to share a sample?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
sunny_talwar

What dimensions do you have in your chart. Can you try this:

Avg(Aggr(NODISTINCT Sum(DISTINCT Age),PatientID))

UPDATE: If this doesn't work, would you be able to share a sample?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

You might experience a dimensional grain mismatch between your chart dimensions and the dimension in your aggr() function:

Pitfalls of the Aggr function

Is your Secondary Program dimension maybe more granular than your PatientID dimension?

rittermd
Master
Master
Author

That worked.  Thank you.