Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ioannaiogr
Creator II
Creator II

concept of canonical calendar -case inside

Hi all.

I have a very specific issue which I have yet to solve. I have another open thread but I would like to make the problem more specific.

Table-wise speaking:

Facts_Applications:

ApplicationID, ApplicantID, DateIssued, DateCancelled etc ;

Dimension_Applicants:

ApplicantID, DateInserted;

Relationship between Facts and Dim on ApplicantID is 1-1.

1st question)

a) For a canonical calendar I need to do one master calendar for DateIssued, one for DateCancelled  and one for DateInserted, then a date bridge where dates are as CanonicalDate and finally a Canonical Calendar?

b) If yes though, having studied this by HIC https://community.qlik.com/t5/Design/Canonical-Date/ba-p/1463578 I see that both tables he works with are about orderID. For me, some dates are for Applications and I have one date for an applicant. This must be a problem right? How do I handle this?

Many thanks in advance. I believe someone can help me 🙂 

Labels (1)
12 Replies
ioannaiogr
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hello @Kushal_Chawda I will try it. The Date in your link table is the canonicaldate field in my case right?

And I have got a fine grain date dimension table can i use this instead of your master calendar approach and link them through Date fields? 

Thank you in advance!

ioannaiogr
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hey @jwjackso i found out what's happening and i feel that maybe the solution is close!

To start with, my date bridge is with key applicationid not applicantid. With applicantid my results get messed up. BUT! I found out that there are applicantids in each academic year that don't have applicationids. Those don't get counted with only selection of academic year AND datetype=inserted or submitted or cancelled or any time of date i have. On the other hand if i do the selection manually at each date field >=01/09/20xx<=31/08/20xx+1 they get counted and that is the correct result.

How do i get it by the first selections?

Ps. I have done outer join on appicantid for fact and dimension table. 

cc @Kushal_Chawda 🙂 any help is appreciated 

Kushal_Chawda

@ioannaiogr  Yes. Date field in my link table is canonical date. You can use your existing master calendar to link with bridge table.