Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexandernatale
Creator II
Creator II

error count and fact/dimension tables...

Hello everybody,

I have a problem understanding how "counting" works and in general the relationship between dimension tables and fact tables.

I have a model like in the figure (the model is more complex and the screenshot represents a synthesis).
The table "Product/family/producer" it should be the fact table.

Immagine 2023-01-13 103238.jpg

Table "product/family/producer" contains the list of products, by category, by single producer.
Table "list_producer"  is the register of the producers with the various information. In this table, the "producer" field represents the "key", so there is no duplication.

The table "product/family/producer" have 138.744 records.
The table "list_producer" have 25.717 records.

It may happen that a producer present in the "list_producer" table has no products and therefore is not present in the "product/family/producer" table.

Question 1: strange result
=count(producer) --> result: 161.752. WHY?  I expected as  result 138.744 records.

Question 2: count producer that not have product --> 2 ways
=count(distinct {<productId-={0}>}srn) or =count(Aggr(If(Count(DISTINCT productId) > 0, 1), producer)) ?

Thanks for help!

Labels (3)
2 Replies
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

You cannot calculate the count of a key without using the 'distinct' clause. It is ambiguous.

Try
Count(distinct producer)

If you want to count the number of producers in the "list_producer" table, you need to create a copy of this field in this table, e.g.
"producer" as "list_producer.producer"
and use Count(distinct "list_producer.producer")

Take a look at "Aggregation of key fields" on https://help.qlik.com/en-US/cloud-services/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/Scripting/AggregationFun....

If you want to count producers that do not have a product, I suggest
Count({<producer=E({<productId={"*"}>} producer)>} distinct producer)

alexandernatale
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks @hic 

I have another question.
If I wanted to see the list and not the number of producers that do not have products...

I tried this: I created a table with a calculated field which becomes Y if it has at least one product code, otherwise N if the manufacturer has no products.

Schermata 2023-01-13 alle 19.48.08.png

But if I wanted to have a simple list of only those manufacturers that have no product code, how can I do this?

Thank you!