Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

how to create age buckets in qliksense?

Hi all ,

i am fetching data from SQL database which consists of the column "Date of Birth" in the data.

now in qliksense in have created a calculated dimension to calculate age using the below given expression:

Age(Today(),DateofBirth)

this works fine. but the user wants the buckets for the ages calculated , like mentioned below

buckets :

18-30 years

31 - 45 years

45+ years

now how do i do this ??

i refered to several posts similar to this scenrio but i am not able to ficgure out the right way. can any one please help me out.

as i am new to qliksense i really need your help guys.

also note : age is not calulated in the script . it is calculated in the calculated dimension.

Thanks

6 Replies
nsetty
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Can you check...

If(

Age(Today(),DATE((Timestamp(Timestamp#([Patient DOB], 'M/D/YYYY h:mm') ))) ) < 19, Dual('[, 19)', 1)

,If(Age(Today(),DATE((Timestamp(Timestamp#([Patient DOB], 'M/D/YYYY h:mm') ))) ) >= 19 and Age(Today(),DATE((Timestamp(Timestamp#([Patient DOB], 'M/D/YYYY h:mm') ))) ) < 31, Dual('[19, 31)', 2)

,If(Age(Today(),DATE((Timestamp(Timestamp#([Patient DOB], 'M/D/YYYY h:mm') ))) ) >= 31 and Age(Today(),DATE((Timestamp(Timestamp#([Patient DOB], 'M/D/YYYY h:mm') ))) ) < 45, Dual('[31, 45)', 3)

,If(Age(Today(),DATE((Timestamp(Timestamp#([Patient DOB], 'M/D/YYYY h:mm') ))) ) >= 45, Dual('[45, )', 4))))

) AS [Age As Of Now (Bucketed)]

Editing a table with data profiling cards - Qlik Sense - YouTube

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Nagesh ,

Should this be created as a dimension ??

and then use the dimension in the chart ??

i tried doing it ,  it said there is an error in the syntax ..

did that work for u  ?

can u share an image of the logic implemented ?

thanks for replying

nsetty
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Chandana,

Try using

=NUM( [Age As Of Now (Bucketed)])

for dimension... It worked for me in filter pane.

nsetty
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Below steps i followed in Data Manager;

1) Create a calculated field "DOB Age", using Age(Today(1), [Patient DOB])

AGE1.PNG

2) Create buckets

Age2.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank u for the screen shots ,

with reference to those i am trying to create a calculated column in data manager tab. but i cannot see the table with data here , it is asking for synchronization of data .

and when i selected synchronizing data it is taking very long time to load the tables,

i am not getting where is the problem.

i am loading data through query from sql server.

can u pls suggest on what is wrong here and how to handle it ?

nsetty
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Chandana,

After creating buckets using front end, it adds below field/line a script. 

If(

Age(Today(),DATE((Timestamp(Timestamp#([Patient DOB], 'M/D/YYYY h:mm') ))) ) < 19, Dual('[, 19)', 1)

,If(Age(Today(),DATE((Timestamp(Timestamp#([Patient DOB], 'M/D/YYYY h:mm') ))) ) >= 19 and Age(Today(),DATE((Timestamp(Timestamp#([Patient DOB], 'M/D/YYYY h:mm') ))) ) < 31, Dual('[19, 31)', 2)

,If(Age(Today(),DATE((Timestamp(Timestamp#([Patient DOB], 'M/D/YYYY h:mm') ))) ) >= 31 and Age(Today(),DATE((Timestamp(Timestamp#([Patient DOB], 'M/D/YYYY h:mm') ))) ) < 45, Dual('[31, 45)', 3)

,If(Age(Today(),DATE((Timestamp(Timestamp#([Patient DOB], 'M/D/YYYY h:mm') ))) ) >= 45, Dual('[45, )', 4))))

) AS [Age As Of Now (Bucketed)]

You can modify to suit your requirement and use it.

Might be your data set is huge hence taking time to load

Nagesh