Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hov
Contributor II
Contributor II

nested set analysis

Hi, I am new to qlik and am having some trouble with a set analysis expression im trying to handle.

I am trying to calculate the diff of a measure between the max date in the selection and its predecessor. 

date_num = integer value of my date, increasing

report name = report selection 

A region filter also applies 

I would like something as follows however this doesnt work when a single date is selected. 

count({<date_num={$(=max(date_num))}>}ReportName) - count({<date_num={$(=max(date_num, 2))}>}ReportName)

I would like to keep the other two filters to work as normal (reportname and region)

Labels (3)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

No, it won't produce the same issue because it overwrites the set selection. Therefore, the following should work:

count({<date_num={$(=max(date_num))}>}ReportName) -
count({<date_num={$(=max(date_num)-1)},
   ReportName=p(ReportName), Region=p(Region)>}ReportName)

in regard to the above mentioned fact of the existing date_num.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

hov
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi thank you for your input.

This approach worked for me, with the addition of {1} in the subtraction.

count({<date_num={$(=max(date_num))}>}ReportName) - count({1<date_num={$(=max(date_num)-2)}, ReportName=p(ReportName), Region=p(Region)>}ReportName)

View solution in original post

12 Replies
agigliotti
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Hi @hov ,

What's the expected result when a single date has been selected?

MayilVahanan

Hi

If the dates are continuous, then try like below

count({<date_num={$(=max(date_num))}>}ReportName) - count({<date_num={$(=max(date_num)-1)}>}ReportName)

Thanks & Regards, Mayil Vahanan R
Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
hov
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi, the expected result would be the diff of the measure to the date selected from the previous date available considering the rest of the current selections.

So, my problem is I can't figure how to work the set to retrieve previous dates when one is selected. When both dates are selected it works fine.

MayilVahanan

Hi

Hope below will suit for your requirement

count({<date_num={$(=(Alt(Max(date_num,2),Max(date_num)-1)))}>}ReportName)

Thanks & Regards, Mayil Vahanan R
Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
hov
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

The issue is that when one date is selected the second to max date is not available. Need to figure a way to bypass this. 

marcus_sommer

If you select a single date you creates a single max. date - there is no second value existing because all other dates aren't available respectively possible anymore. This restriction might be bypassed with an own set analysis - for example by ignoring the selection - but depending on the dataset it may not always return the wanted value else it could become a bit difficult to specify the conditions.

Probably easier would be you applies the provided logic of:

max. Date - 1

and if there are no continuous dates (not existing or not relevant in regard to weekends or holidays) you could create such continuing date within the master-calendar with respect to all the workdays-stuff.

- Marcus

hov
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Do you think something like this would be possible? for the second expression to use {1} together with all the conditions inside the brackets. The syntax below im not sure about but could it work?

count({<date_num={$(=max(date_num))}>}ReportName) - count({1<date_num={$(=max(date_num, 2))}, ReportName={$(GetFieldSelections(ReportName))}, Region={$(GetFieldSelections(Region))}>}ReportName)

marcus_sommer

In general, you could with {1} or something like: {< Field = >} ignore the selection state of the application respectively of a certain field - whereby my hints were aimed not the main-calculation else just to the condition like: {$(=max({< datenum >} date_num, 2))} - but it's not a general solution else moving the challenges to another part and often adding more complexity as needed.

Therefore, I would use the mentioned max. date - n logic. At first it may look like more efforts but to have all possible period-fields including the entire workingday-stuff and offset-values, flags and so on within a master-calendar is a tremendous simplification for nearly all kind of views within all applications and will later saving a lot of work and time.

- Marcus

hov
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi thanks for your answer.

Im not sure how date - n logic will bypass my selection, it seems it will produce the same issue.