Skip to main content
Announcements
Accelerate Your Success: Fuel your data and AI journey with the right services, delivered by our experts. Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nithin007
Contributor II
Contributor II

performance tuning

interview question:

i have 14 tables in data model(snow flake)

then i found that performance is too slow, then what are the steps i need to check and how can i improve performance?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

It means something like:

fact:
load F1, F2, SalesMonth as Month, 'Sales' as Source from Sales;
concatenate(fact) 
load F1, F2, BudgetMonth as Month, 'Budget' as Source from Budget;

- Marcus

View solution in original post

7 Replies
marcus_sommer

The official recommendation is the use of a star-scheme - means a single fact-table with n dimension-tables - as the best compromise in regard to developing/maintaining efforts and script/UI performance.

- Marcus

Nithin007
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

hi marcus

then how can we convert snow flake to star schema(even after doing transformations), could you please explain different solutions or methods ? 

marcus_sommer

There is no general way for all scenarios. In many cases the fact-tables could be simply concatenated (union in sql) by harmonizing different field-names, cleaning the data, filling missing values, adding an extra field to flag the source from where the data are coming and of course various other actions, too. Sometimes it's also sensible to join/map multiple fact-areas together.

- Marcus

Nithin007
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

hi marcus

could you please explain

what is

1.harmonizing different field-names.

2.adding an extra field to flag the source from where the data are coming

marcus_sommer

It means something like:

fact:
load F1, F2, SalesMonth as Month, 'Sales' as Source from Sales;
concatenate(fact) 
load F1, F2, BudgetMonth as Month, 'Budget' as Source from Budget;

- Marcus

Nithin007
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

thank you markus

you mention other actions 

can you give some links or concepts to get knowledge on them.

marcus_sommer

There are many measures possible. Quite important in regard to the performance is knowing how the data are stored especially to the cardinality of the distinct field-values, see for it: The Importance Of Being Distinct - Qlik Community - 1466796. Another point goes to the UI in which no (nested) if-loops, aggr() or interrecord-functions should be used - ideally everything is viewable with native dimensions and simple functions like sum/count(Field).

- Marcus