Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
digitale
Contributor II
Contributor II

"Stock" of active customers per month

Hello there, 

I'm not new to Qlik, I've already used set analysis for different expressions in several sheets however I'm far from being an expert and I don't know from where to start for my current need.

We have those two tables (to simplify I'm not showing all fields)

Table "Transactions" 

transaction_idtransaction_datecustomer_id
128/11/20191
203/12/20191
315/12/20192
406/01/20203

Table "Customers"

customer_idcustomer_name
1John Doe
2Jane Smith
3Michael James

I want to create a table where dimension will be MonthYear and in which for a given month I will see the Count of active distinct customers, an active customer being a customer that has at least made one transaction in the past 3 months.

So table would look like:

MonthStock of active customers
07-2019120
08-2019150
09-2019135
10-2019213
11-2019216
12-2019245
01-2020271

So for exemple for December 2019 we would read "In december 2019 we had 245 'active' customers meaning 245 distinct people having made at least one transaction in October/November/December"

I have tried the following but I doubt it is going anywhere : 

=Count(Distinct if(Aggr(Max(transaction_date),customer_id) < (today() - 90), customer_id))

I really don't know where to start...

Thanks very much for helping

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Taoufiq_Zarra

Regards,
Taoufiq ZARRA

"Please LIKE posts and "Accept as Solution" if the provided solution is helpful "

(you can mark up to 3 "solutions") 😉

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Taoufiq_Zarra

@digitale  May be like this :

=count({<customer_id={"=count({<transaction_date={[>=$(=addmonths(today(),-3))]}>} transaction_id)>0"}>} distinct customer_id) 

One Example :

Transactions:

LOAD * INLINE [
    transaction_id, transaction_date, customer_id
    1, 28/11/2019, 1
    2, 03/12/2019, 1
    3, 15/12/2019, 2
    4, 06/11/2020, 3
];

Customers:
LOAD * INLINE [
    customer_id, customer_name
    1, John Doe
    2, Jane Smith
    3, Michael James
];

In dimension :

=Num(Month(transaction_date),'00')&'-'&Year(transaction_date)

In Measure

=count({<customer_id={"=count({<transaction_date={[>=$(=addmonths(today(),-3))]}>} transaction_id)>0"}>} distinct customer_id)

the output:

Capture.PNG

Regards,
Taoufiq ZARRA

"Please LIKE posts and "Accept as Solution" if the provided solution is helpful "

Taoufiq_Zarra

if befor last 3 month change

to

=count({<customer_id={"=count({<transaction_date={[<=$(=addmonths(today(),-3))]}>} transaction_id)>0"}>} distinct customer_id) 
Regards,
Taoufiq ZARRA

digitale
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hello @Taoufiq_Zarra 

Thanks very much for reaching out and helping!

I've made several tests based on your formula but unfortunately for the moment I still can't get the result I'm looking for. I don't get why when using your formula I'm only seeing one line (11-2020) instead of the 3 different months from my dataset (11-2019, 12-2019 and 11-2020).

I will try explode the formula to see if I get every piece correctly : 

First of all I have replaced today() by max(transaction_date()) so the formula is relative to the current table line do we agree on that point? 

First the part between quote marks: 

=count({<transaction_date={[>=$(=addmonths(max(transaction_date),-3))]}>} transaction_id)>0

This is a condition testing whether we have at least one transaction in the period given (3months) right? When I put that in a table it either returns 0 or -1.

Then I'm not getting given the Set Analysis doc how this second part works using the part 1.

<customer_id=%PART1%>

In the end with the formula here is the result I need to read :

MonthYearAmount of active distinct customers
11-20191
12-20192
11-20201

We would read that for exemple for line 12-2019:

"In the period of 3 months from 31/09/2019 to 31/12/2019, we had 2 distinct customers making at least one transaction" 

Thanks very much for your time,

Taoufiq_Zarra

@digitale 

attached qlik file

Taoufiq_Zarra_0-1608732425213.png

in dimension =YearMonthtransaction_date

and in measure :

=count(distinct if(transaction_date<=transaction_mp and AddMonths(transaction_mp,-3)<=transaction_date,customer_id))
Regards,
Taoufiq ZARRA

Taoufiq_Zarra

Regards,
Taoufiq ZARRA

digitale
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hello @Taoufiq_Zarra 

Thanks very much for your time and your explanation through direct messages!

The table provided as solution is the one I am looking for!

Will try to implement this solution in my actual prod data model ASAP 🙂

Have a nice day