Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nancysh
Contributor
Contributor

sum with max for multiple columns

hi All, 

I have a question about calculating max and sum i have this data: 

session 1  session 2 session 3
male 5-17 male 18-49 male 50+ female 5-17 female 18-49 female 50+ male 5-17 male 18-49 male 50+ female 5-17 female 18-49 female 50+ male 5-17 male 18-49 male 50+ female 5-17 female 18-49 female 50+
2 0 3 1 0 0 1 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 0 5
0 0 3 3 0 0 0 1 4 1 2 2 1 1 1 0 1 1

and i need to calculate number of people attended sessions without double counting so i need the max for ech age/gender group then sum for all.

i need to get the data as total but the max should be for each row then sum all rows.

can anyone help me with formula.

Thanks.

2 Replies
starke_be-terna
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

What you are asking for is a guess at best, when you do not have any identifiers for each individual person. There are multiple possible scenarios:
1) everyone is unique (so the 2 people in group 1 session 1 are different to the 1 person in group 1 session 2) --> the sum of all elements would be correct
2) if there are people in multiple sessions, then these people were in all sessions --> max would be correct assumption
3) People could be mix and match between 1) and 2) --> only count(distinct PERSON) would lead to a satisfying result.

About 2). You could do this with aggr() by first evaluating max() by age_group and then sum the results up:
sum(aggr(max(PERSON_COUNT), AGE_GROUP))

Chanty4u
MVP
MVP

Try this.

Sum(Aggr(Max({<[Gender/Age Group]=>} TOTAL <Session> [Value]), Session, [Gender/Age Group]))