Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobnewbie
Contributor II
Contributor II

Locked QVD's becoming a common occurance. What to do?

Hi All,

Please can you assist me, we have QVD's that are often becoming locked. I understand this is occurring because of a failed reload that was aborted and the QV.exe was left running.

I also understand that closing all instances of QV.exe processes in the task manager or through a batch file will resolve this.

Our issues however are:

We have business analysts with there own copies of QlikView models on their local machines (reload only) as well as models on the production server that are scheduled to write to the QVD's (extractors). All these models share the same production server data source (where some write and some read). We therefore don't know what is causing the locks, whether it is these analysts (reloading) or the scheduled reloads on the server (writing), which we have setup through batch files to reload.

The analysts can reload their models at any time, and this might occur at the same time as the data is extracted from SQL and saved to the QVD.

I have done my own testing:

1.  Reloading a QlikView model at the same time another is writing to the same QVD - reload or write fails but no lock.

2.  Reloading 2 models at the same time - no fail and no lock

3.  Reloading from production server QVD and disconnecting from networking during reload - fail reload but no lock

4.  Writing to production server QVD and disconnecting from networking during writing - fail load but no lock

I cannot replicate the locking process - is this perhaps because I am the same user in all instances?

The QlikView developers in our team do not have access to the QlikView server. We can therefore only terminate the qv.exe on our local or business analysts  machines. It is usually the server qv.exe processes that are locking these qvd's.  Do we therefore need to keep asking admin to reset the qv.exe processes on the production server and will this not terminate all the users viewing through access point at that time?

Is there a way I can find the cause? The setup with the business analysts reloading their models ad-hoc may seem a strange one, but it hasn't caused as many if any locks before.

Many thanks all!

0 Replies