Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. READ MORE

SQL Server Source: Qlik Replicate encountered third-party backup files during preliminary processing

100% helpful (1/1)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lyka
Support
Support

SQL Server Source: Qlik Replicate encountered third-party backup files during preliminary processing

Last Update:

Mar 14, 2022 11:17:09 AM

Updated By:

Sonja_Bauernfeind

Created date:

Mar 2, 2022 6:17:31 PM

This applies when using SQL Server as a source endpoint.

WARNING:

[SOURCE_CAPTURE ]W: Replicate encountered third-party backup files during preliminary processing. As the 'Use third-party backup device' option is currently disabled, these files will not be processed for changes. (sqlserver_log_queries.c:3425)

This means that if the task needs to reference a backup log, we will not be able to as that file will be in the 3rd party format. 

Resolution

You need to identify if you are using a 3rd part backup as opposed to native SQL.

Virtual log backups are usually done by 3rd party SQL server backup programs, like Litespeed, Red gate etc. or by other 3rd party software like Symantec NetBackup, Commvault.

Please note that Qlik Replicate by default is not reading such backup logs, and so we give the warning that such virtual backups exist.

If you have such virtual backups, but they are not related to your regular transaction log backup process, and those backups don’t contain any changes that are relevant to replication, or they are done as "COPY_ONLY",
Then you can ignore this warning.

If you are using virtual backups as your regular backup option for SQL Server, then you will need to do both steps:

1. Mark the "select virtual backup device types" in the SQL server source database settings in Replicate->Advanced tab
  2. Note that doing (1) will cause Replicate to try and read those virtual backup logs , but since replicate can't read 3rd party backup logs, you will need to provide to Replicate a conversion utility, in order to convert each such tlog to a native SQL server format.

Labels (2)
Comments
dhina
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hello Team,

Could you please explain me more on this?

"If you are using virtual backups as your regular backup option for SQL Server, then you will need to do both steps."

1. These steps are for whom to do? for SQL source side / Qlik Replicate side.

2. If it's Replicate side, do we need to add any internal parameter at Source endpoint?

"but since replicate can't read 3rd party backup logs, you will need to provide to Replicate a conversion utility, in order to convert each such tlog to a native SQL server format."

3. What does the above step means?

Thanks in advance!!!

Dhina

HOASTONGE
Contributor
Contributor

Hello team,
Could you please explain more about this to me?
Because you say that If you are using virtual backups as your regular backup option for SQL Server, then you will need to do both steps."

1. These steps are for whom to do? for SQL source side / Qlik Replicate side.

2. If it's Replicate side, do we need to add any internal parameter at Source endpoint?

But if I take my point of view, that is to say that I am the person responsible for Qlik Replicate and not the person responsible for SQL Source, I have no idea if the server used on the other side of the world has a backup of some type or other that says what should I do if I encounter this error. If I am the manager of Qlik Replicate and I only read the data into an ERP system

I hate to see that error : Replicate encountered third-party backup files during preliminary processing. As the 'Use third-party backup device' option is currently disabled, these files will not be processed for changes. 

Do I need to select what .. I'm just reading on ERP I'm not the one who are manage the ERP (Database backup) 

Version history
Last update:
‎2022-03-14 11:17 AM
Updated by: