Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AdyWorrall
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Intuit Quickbooks Online

Hi - has anyone out there managed to connect Quickbooks online with Qlik app automation to retrieve data yet?

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Shai_E
Support
Support

Hi Ady,

Reading through some of the documentation on intuit in regard to quickbooks online api, i dont think that you can skip the app creation on quickbooks side.

To get the access token for the api calls you need an app which has client id and client secret.

See the following stack overflow question:

php - Is it possible to use intuit quickbooks online API without creating an app - Stack Overflow

Setup guide:

Create and start developing your app (intuit.com)

View solution in original post

AfeefaTk
Support
Support

Hi @AdyWorrall 

As mentioned by Shai, and as far as I can see from the API documentation, Quickbooks online API uses an OAuth2 authentication mechanism, and It is required to create an app on the developer portal in order to connect to API

https://developer.intuit.com/app/developer/qbo/docs/develop/authentication-and-authorization

https://developer.intuit.com/app/developer/qbo/docs/develop/authentication-and-authorization/oauth-2...

In the above link, It's even possible to play around with the authorization process using OAuth2.0 playground which might help you to understand how it works.

Could you please try the steps provided in the above documentation and see if that works

Thanks!

Afeefa TK

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Shai_E
Support
Support

Hi Ady,

I could be missing something, but i dont see Quickbooks online as a connector in QAA or as a data connection.

Did you try using the "Call Url" block to make requests to their api? i would assume that block with the "Custom code" block to format data can help here.

AdyWorrall
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Hi Shai_E and thanks for the reply,

There is no connector you are correct, but I was wondering if anyone had any success with the Quickbooks online API using Qlik automation either via the OAuth2 or Qlik Cloud Services Raw API blocks?

Quickbooks API docs seem to be geared towards creating an app for their appstore.  This isn't what I'm trying to acheive as I just want the data!

Shai_E
Support
Support

Hi Ady,

Reading through some of the documentation on intuit in regard to quickbooks online api, i dont think that you can skip the app creation on quickbooks side.

To get the access token for the api calls you need an app which has client id and client secret.

See the following stack overflow question:

php - Is it possible to use intuit quickbooks online API without creating an app - Stack Overflow

Setup guide:

Create and start developing your app (intuit.com)

AdyWorrall
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

It must be possible - I just don't understand enough to be able to do it!

PowerBI connected directly as do sites such as Skyvia, without the need to create an app..

Hopefully some day someone will see this post and produce a solution 🙂

Shai_E
Support
Support

Hi Ady,

I hope you don't mind me asking, does PowerBI and Skyvia use a raw api block to do these requests to quickbooks online api, without the need to create an app on quickbooks side?

Maybe this is something we need to look into, you can post an ideation for this that we can look into in the ideation forum.

AfeefaTk
Support
Support

Hi @AdyWorrall 

As mentioned by Shai, and as far as I can see from the API documentation, Quickbooks online API uses an OAuth2 authentication mechanism, and It is required to create an app on the developer portal in order to connect to API

https://developer.intuit.com/app/developer/qbo/docs/develop/authentication-and-authorization

https://developer.intuit.com/app/developer/qbo/docs/develop/authentication-and-authorization/oauth-2...

In the above link, It's even possible to play around with the authorization process using OAuth2.0 playground which might help you to understand how it works.

Could you please try the steps provided in the above documentation and see if that works

Thanks!

Afeefa TK

AdyWorrall
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Hi AfeefaYk - apologies but my knowledge with API's is not advanced enough to use the OAuth2 block.  Are Qlik planning on developing a Quickbooks connection?

Shai_E
Support
Support

Hi Ady,

I would advise creating an ideation for a Quickbooks connector for QAA.

AfeefaTk
Support
Support

Hi @AdyWorrall 

I just had a read through the Quickbooks Online API documentation on the OAuth2 authentication steps and found even though it uses OAuth2 type authentication ,it doesn't seem to support the generic OAuth flow implemented in the OAuth2 connector. So you might not be able to use the OAuth2 connector to make the API calls.

More info on authentication steps: https://developer.intuit.com/app/developer/qbpayments/docs/develop/authentication-and-authorization/...

I would agree with Shai to create connector request in the ideation forum

Thanks!