Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jakob_h
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Replace line feed (ascii value 10)

I want to replace line feed with another character in an out block. I can't get the replace function to do it. Anyone know how to do this?

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jonashertz
Contributor III
Contributor III

Didn't see it was about automations and had no idea how to do it.. but got curious 😉

So I built an automation accepting multi line input. In the output block "data to output" I used "Add formula -> Text Function -> Replace". Then for "old value" I used "Add formula -> Text Function -> Line break".

Running the automation with input:

text
with
multiple
lines

gives me the result "test;with;multiple ;lines".

Maybe that is more what you are looking for?

jonashertz_0-1706182107456.png

View solution in original post

6 Replies
anat
Master
Master

=replace('text1',chr(10),'text2')

jonashertz
Contributor III
Contributor III

Yes the replace function is what you are looking for. Here I'm replacing newline character with semi colon:

let vMyString = 'line1' & chr(10) & 'line2';

load
replace( '$(vMyString)', chr(10),chr(59)) as NewString
autogenerate 1;

marcus_sommer

Maybe the line-break char-index isn't 10 else 13 or both in combination. Copy the data into an editor like Notepad++ to see which chars are really there.

jakob_h
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

As you can see, this is related to an automation and not a script. I'm fully aware how to do it in the script

jonashertz
Contributor III
Contributor III

Didn't see it was about automations and had no idea how to do it.. but got curious 😉

So I built an automation accepting multi line input. In the output block "data to output" I used "Add formula -> Text Function -> Replace". Then for "old value" I used "Add formula -> Text Function -> Line break".

Running the automation with input:

text
with
multiple
lines

gives me the result "test;with;multiple ;lines".

Maybe that is more what you are looking for?

jonashertz_0-1706182107456.png

jakob_h
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

It's seems like the solution i was looking for. Couldn't find the linebreak function before you posted it here. I must have looked for another name