Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nrq
Contributor III
Contributor III

What steps must be taken in the backend to get data connections to work without using direct access gateway?

I am new to Qlik Cloud/Qlik Sense. I only have experience using Qlik View with an on-site server. I have recently started a Qlik Sense trial but am struggling to get a connection from a SQL Server DB to work. This is the same SQL Server DB I'm already using just fine with Qlik View. But I cannot get it to work with Qlik Cloud.

It seems there are two methods to add a data connection to Qlik Cloud: a standard method (which I really can't find much information on for troubleshooting purposes) and direct access gateway. The latter I cannot use because from what I've read it requires a lot of server resources and needs to be placed on its own server because of that. Unfortunately, I do not have much access to server resources at my company.

Therefore, I'm forced to go with the standard connection method. I assume this method requires me to expose my DB connection to the internet, but how do I go about doing that? I've already setup and tested the connection properly in my ODBC Data Sources program. The connections are working there. But they are not working in Qlik Cloud. What step am I missing or is it some kind of limitation with the Qlik Sense trial?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vinay_B
Support
Support

Hi @nrq 

Qlik Cloud can only connect to a Cloud-based SQL server. If the DB is on-prem then you need to use a Data gateway to bring the data over to Qlik Cloud. 

If the DB is cloud-based, you need to allow the Ips or DNS listed in the help site to make the successful authentication and retrieve the data: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/cloud-services/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/Introduction/qlik-cloud-... 

I hope this helps!

If this resolves your query, please click on "Accept as Solution" for confirmation. Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Vinay_B
Support
Support

Hi @nrq 

Qlik Cloud can only connect to a Cloud-based SQL server. If the DB is on-prem then you need to use a Data gateway to bring the data over to Qlik Cloud. 

If the DB is cloud-based, you need to allow the Ips or DNS listed in the help site to make the successful authentication and retrieve the data: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/cloud-services/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/Introduction/qlik-cloud-... 

I hope this helps!

If this resolves your query, please click on "Accept as Solution" for confirmation. Thanks!