Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prigowasu
Contributor
Contributor

Loading speed from data warehouse to BI tool

Hello everyone,

I couldn't find a direct answer for this.

Do loading tables from a data warehouse into a BI tool (in my case, qlik sense) will be faster or much faster than loading the tables from an operational database like mysql into qlik sense?

I did load a few tables, one of them on the heavier side from redshift, but it was a "clean" data model so i couldnt compare it to our "messy" one that gets the data from mysql.

(I'm not talking about the transformation phase; only the load phase from the database)

I see quite a few data structures that involve a cloud datalake with a data warehouse that are being absorbed by the BI toll eventually.

Thank you!

Labels (1)
1 Reply
marcus_sommer

It will mainly depend on the available resources (number of server-clusters and their CPU + RAM as well as the network performance) and the used configurations (limits and priorities) and of course the current work-load.

Beside this should an access on massive data for reporting-purposes to an operational system an exception because it has a higher priority as a following DWH and further following any BI tools. Using an intermediate DWH simplified the matter significantly because the approach to query data could be centralized by simplifying a lot of things like the lock on records or the various access rights to certain data and so on.