Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aeveltstra
Contributor III
Contributor III

How to move NPrinting generated reports cache off operating system disk onto other disk or to shared storage?

Hello!

By default, Qlik NPrinting caches its generated reports on the server that generates them, usually in c:\programdata (provided that the operating system lives on c:\).

For instance, for one of my "apps", NPrinting caches the generated reports here:

C:\ProgramData\NPrinting\apps\{app-id}\reports\published

The space on that drive is limited. I need to move the caches. Either to a different disk that has plenty of room, or to shared storage that already is accessible.

How do I make that happen? What configuration file do I edit?

Thank you,

Andre E. Veltstra

Labels (3)
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

From the Release Notes:

Qlik NPrinting must be installed only on C: drives
Qlik NPrinting Server, Engine, and Designer can only be installed on C: drives. Any attempt to install them on
a different drive will result in task failures.

At the moment (February 2021) this requirement is still valid so there is not a supported way to move reports cache on a different storage.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.

View solution in original post

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Everything is installed on the C drive and cannot be moved. Also the connections caches, the templates, the generated reports published on the NewsStand etc are stored on the C drive and there is not a configuration parameter to change their storage location in a way that is also officially supported. 

This feature is already in the ideation https://community.qlik.com/t5/Suggest-an-Idea/Possibility-to-move-the-NP-installation-NP-Database-ou... so you can vote for it.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Frank_S
Support
Support

The known issues and limitations are mentioned in the release notes for every NPrinting product release. Feel free to review the release notes downloadable from here.

The c:\drive limitation is mentioned there as well.

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Qlik-NPrinting-Known-Issues-and-Limitations/ta-p/179652...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!

8 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, 

I suggest you start reading documentation first. It clearly says NPrinting can only be isntalled on C drive - full stop.

Second thing is that cache is not a file - it is a postgresql database  and therefore cannot be moved.

In short - what you are trying to do is not possible!

Other comments:

• are you really on 17.3 version? 
  • If you are - i suggest you upgrade as you are 4 years behind the latest release and a lot has changed since
  • cache are not taking up that much space - so my assumption is that what causes your space on drive to disapear is use of news stand and reatining a number of history reports on it.

All above is well documented on https://help.qlik.com. Help has more than 500 pages to ready - so happy reading, there is a lot you have to digest.

cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
aeveltstra
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Wow. I can only assume my communication skills are severely lacking, because that answer completely missed the ballpark. Thanks.

aeveltstra
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I see registry settings here:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Qlik\NPrinting Server

that tell NPrinting where to find its data files.

One of the entries is ProgramDataLocation. This seems to indicate that I can tell NPrinting to look for its data elsewhere.

Will it suffice to update these registry entries? And maybe restart the NPrinting services? Or are more steps involved?

aeveltstra
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I updated my question to reflect the actual version of NPrinting we're using. Thank you for pointing that out!

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

From the Release Notes:

Qlik NPrinting must be installed only on C: drives
Qlik NPrinting Server, Engine, and Designer can only be installed on C: drives. Any attempt to install them on
a different drive will result in task failures.

At the moment (February 2021) this requirement is still valid so there is not a supported way to move reports cache on a different storage.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
aeveltstra
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi!

What am I missing here? The release notes talk about where NPrinting components get installed. They don't talk about where the reports cache must be stored. Do they? How does a statement about the one lead to a conclusion about the other?

Thank you,

Andre

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Everything is installed on the C drive and cannot be moved. Also the connections caches, the templates, the generated reports published on the NewsStand etc are stored on the C drive and there is not a configuration parameter to change their storage location in a way that is also officially supported. 

This feature is already in the ideation https://community.qlik.com/t5/Suggest-an-Idea/Possibility-to-move-the-NP-installation-NP-Database-ou... so you can vote for it.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
Frank_S
Support
Support

The known issues and limitations are mentioned in the release notes for every NPrinting product release. Feel free to review the release notes downloadable from here.

The c:\drive limitation is mentioned there as well.

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Qlik-NPrinting-Known-Issues-and-Limitations/ta-p/179652...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!