Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barneysmith
Contributor
Contributor

Importing users from multiple XLSX into multiple groups

Hello,

We run several imports of users into nprinting to allow several reports to be sent on a daily basis. A user may appear on multiple XLSX and each XLSX import updates a specific group or groups.

My problem comes when I want to remove a user from one group but not another. So my user, Mr X, is on import A to be placed in to nprinting group A and on import B to be placed into group B. This initial set up is fine, but if for some reason the next day Mr X needs to be removed from group A, but not B, then I don't seem to be able to do this as I would expect. My current options are to delete the user and start again or leave Mr X in all groups. The import setting of 'Replace existing user associations (filters, roles, and groups)' replace for all groups regardless of which import they have been set on.

From what I have found my options are to:

• Run an initial, 'empty', import to clear out all  users from the group and then run my fresh import again
  • Keep a copy of yesterdays imports and remove appropriate group associations before running my new day import
  • create a single import of all groups/filters/users rather than individual imports per report.

All of these seem an absolute headache as we run a few reports all with some variation etc. It would also require quite some timing and triggering to get it all smoothly working, it just feels that there should be a better way - what am I missing? Any ideas or suggestions most welcome!

TIA

Barney

Labels (2)
2 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, 

I see that you pretty much worked it all out already. In my opinion the way to go is to setup on import.. as you said : create a single import of all groups/filters/users rather than individual imports per report.

I can understand that this can be challenging, but the sooner you do it the better. Single import allows for the easiest control of all users and does not require any timing planning on when to run which import. When designing single import, it is important to plan which reports require unique user filters. Those reports should be done in different nprinting "apps" and have unique connections set to them so multiple recipient filters will not interfere.

good luck

cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
barneysmith
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks for this - I was hoping that there was some quicker and easier way to make this happen!