cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robert_mika
Master III
Master III

Native Excel Map support

We can use any of the charts from the Excel suite but looks like map are being created 'on the fly' so when the chart 'is printed' is just show empty canvas.

Any ideas or successful implementation?

robert_mika_0-1592634508873.png

Labels (2)
2 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @robert_mika 

You are right - chart is created on the fly by MsOffice and based on what I understand requires internet connection. 

Now to your question: "Any ideas or successful implementation?"

• As long as report is generated as XLSX file i don't see any problem and it can be easily implemented. You populate data with required by MsExcel values and chart gets rendered. I always use named tables for those purposes, but range would work as well. So just looking at screenshots below:
    • template has a table:
      • dimension: Country
      • measure: Sum(Value)
    • table is dragged and dropped onto NPrinting XLSX template and I create named table with 1 extra row (in which i put deleterow tag. I also created extra column - in this example my values were coming through to excel as text so i forced multiplication by 1 (=[@[Sum(Value)]]*1) in Column 1
    • I insert a map chart and chose named table as my data source
      • 1.png
    • for testing i can put in this extra row (row 17) any country and value to see if it will be created in chart
    • later I hit preview:
      • result is what I expected
      • 2.png

And this is where good news finishes.

What I tested later was to open this report on my phone (I used iPhone) and here are results. Preview directly from email client did not render chart at all - just white frame. I then tried to use mobile Excel client (app) and this one came up with not supported chart message:

mobile Excel Previewmobile Excel Preview

My next test was to use PDF output and this surprised me the most. I was expecting to see blank chart or no data at all.. however instead I saw.......bar chart (really?).

PDF NPrinting PreviewPDF NPrinting Preview

I had a quick thought that maybe there is some excel setting changing chart type when printing - I could not find it...

So at this stage I think we need to ask @Ruggero_Piccoli - is this working as designed? 

Summary:

• Maps can be used when output is XLSX and is being viewed on PC
  • On any other device it does not work
  • NPrinting created PDF output changes chart type.

thanks

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
robert_mika
Master III
Master III
Author

Thank you Lech.

I will do my testing and comeback