Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MEBG93
Creator
Creator

Variable in Excel not working when inserted manually

Hello experts,

I'm new in Nprinting. When I'm trying to insert a variable in an excel spreadsheet and I run the app I get the expression in text, not in values. But, if I assign a variable to an object in the app, and use it from the list on the left I get the values correctly.

I'm inserting the variables like this: <=$(vSalesRegion)> with no success

So I'm wondering how does the variables work in excel spreadsheets in Nprinting?

Thanks in advance

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Frank_S
Support
Support

@MEBG93 

Are you actually typing <=$(vSalesRegion)> into the NP designer? It's not really clear.

In any case, if you are doing that, it will not work...you need to 

• first add your variable to your Qlik Sense app (and formatted correctly as mention by Lech above. See second link about 'variables don't expand before calculating')
  • Reload the NP connection to use the new variable in the NP designer
  • Load the variable in the NP designer:

• Then drag the variable object to the designer template editor. 

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Since you are new you need to get training. Make sure you carefully study https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2022/Content/NPrinting/Introduction/Introduction.htm

the scenario you are mentioning is documented there: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2022/Content/NPrinting/Troubleshooting/Variables-dont-expan...

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Btw

you can expand variable either in Nprinting formula, or you have to expand them in Qlik Sense. 

the syntax you tried to do by expanding variable in nprinting “< >” tags is not the way you work with Nprinting!

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Frank_S
Support
Support

@MEBG93 

Are you actually typing <=$(vSalesRegion)> into the NP designer? It's not really clear.

In any case, if you are doing that, it will not work...you need to 

• first add your variable to your Qlik Sense app (and formatted correctly as mention by Lech above. See second link about 'variables don't expand before calculating')
  • Reload the NP connection to use the new variable in the NP designer
  • Load the variable in the NP designer:

• Then drag the variable object to the designer template editor. 

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

I would like to add to @Lech_Miszkiewicz and @Frank_S answers the suggestion to test the variable in the source QlikView document or Qlik Sense app in order to be sure it works correctly there before importing it in a Qlik NPrinting template.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.