Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

[Db2 for iSeries source] How to replicate tables created by DDS

Hello support team.

[Info]
Source DB : Db2 for iSeries

[Question]
About following limitation,
>Tables created by DDS: If you need to replicate tables created by DDS, please seek guidance from Qlik Support or your Qlik Customer Success Manager.
https://help.qlik.com/en-US/replicate/November2023/Content/Global_Common/Content/SharedReplicateHDD/...

Are tables created by DDS enable to be replicated ?
If yes, would you tell me how to replicate these table?

Best Regards.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DesmondWOO
Support
Support

Hi @iti-attunity-sup ,

No. I thought you were asking about how to configure so that Replicate can capture changes for DDS table. 

As I mentioned earlier, Replicate may encounter unexpected issues with DDS table. So we document that message in the limitation, and recommended to check with with us before implementing your project.

For any further questions about the DDS table, I would suggest reaching out to your account manager.

Regards,
Desmond

Help users find answers! Do not forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

12 Replies
SushilKumar
Support
Support

Hello @iti-attunity-sup 

Thanks for reaching out to Qlik via Qlik Community Support page

DB2 objects created with DDS can be accessed with SQL and objects created with SQL can be accessed with the native record-level access interface. 

In the context of DB/2, DDS enables applications to access the DB/2 database over a network, rather than directly accessing the database on the local machine. This enables distributed systems where multiple applications, running on different machines, need to access the same database.

The main difference between DDS and SQL is that DDS is designed for managing distributed databases, while SQL is designed for managing centralized relational databases.

Qlik replicate fetches or get information from Endpoint via Sql extraction. Its highly likely QR requires some function to fetch and process the data which created with DDS and PS/CF/development team enable them only on request.

Regards,

Sushil Kumar 

DesmondWOO
Support
Support

Hi @iti-attunity-sup ,

If you want to start journaling a physical file (table), please check this AS400 command STRJRNPF.

Regards,
Desmond

Help users find answers! Do not forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up!
iti-attunity-sup
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hello Sushil Kumar.
Thank you for your reply.

>Its highly likely QR requires some function to fetch and process the data which created with DDS and PS/CF/development team enable them only on request.

If these function is enabled, is Full Load and Apply changes possible with tables created by DDS?

Best Regards.

iti-attunity-sup
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hello Sushil Kumar.
I have one more question.

>Qlik replicate fetches or get information from Endpoint via Sql extraction. Its highly likely QR requires some function to fetch and process the data which created with DDS and PS/CF/development team enable them only on request.

About this, how to request this function?

Best Regards.

DesmondWOO
Support
Support

Hi @iti-attunity-sup ,

In most cases, both Full Load and CDC work fine with DDS tables, just same to SQL table. However, customer may encounter unexpected situation. For example, I encountered a support case where the information retrieved from a DB2 system table and a DDS table may not align. The DB2 system table indicates NULL value is not allowed for a column, while DDS table shows it allows. As a result, it affects Replicate when creating the target table. 

Regards, 
Desmond

iti-attunity-sup
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hello Desmond.

To sum up,
Just by executing AS400 command "STRJRNPF" on source database,
it is enable to replicate tables created by DDS, right ?

Best Regards.

DesmondWOO
Support
Support

Hi @iti-attunity-sup ,

The STRJRNPF command associates your database physical file to a journal, allowing Replicate to retrieve changes from the journal. This step must be done for DDS table and SQL table.

Regards,
Desmond

iti-attunity-sup
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hello Desmond

So about following limitation,
>Tables created by DDS: If you need to replicate tables created by DDS, please seek guidance from Qlik Support or your Qlik Customer Success Manager.

Does this mean "STRJRNPF" command ?
Or other setting ?

Best Regards.

DesmondWOO
Support
Support

Hi @iti-attunity-sup ,

No. I thought you were asking about how to configure so that Replicate can capture changes for DDS table. 

As I mentioned earlier, Replicate may encounter unexpected issues with DDS table. So we document that message in the limitation, and recommended to check with with us before implementing your project.

For any further questions about the DDS table, I would suggest reaching out to your account manager.

Regards,
Desmond