UPGRADE ADVISORY for Qlik Replicate 2024.5: Read More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MoeyE
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Understanding AR_H_CHANGE_SEQ, Messaging endpoints, and Qlik Replicate's behaviour

Hi,

I am trying to understand the documentation for change sequence number. From my understanding, here's what should happen. I have a task that goes directly from Oracle to Kafka. If I insert a new record then I update this record directly after, then the change sequence number will be the same for both records when they appear in Kafka. 

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/replicate/November2023/Content/Global_Common/Content/SharedEMReplicate/C... 

The xxx...xxx is usually the internal change number from the data record except that for BEFORE-IMAGE records it is the same as the change number of the matching UPDATE record (for example, if the change number of BEFORE-IMAGE is 1000 and that of the UPDATE is 1001, then both have 1001). This allows a simple left-outer-join between the table and itself where on the left we scan until the point in time but filter out operation=before-image, and on the right we join on the same change_seq with the change_oper being 'B' .

However this is the behaviour I noticed when experimenting:

1. I insert my new record into the Oracle table. I note the offset and the change sequence number

MoeyE_0-1721088754759.png

2. I update the record. (PostalCode=5678). Notice that the sequence number of the update seen in Kafka is different from the change sequence number for the before record. It should be the same right?

MoeyE_1-1721088821499.png

3. Now here's the interesting thing, 5 minutes later I got a bunch of new records into Kafka but I was not doing any changes in the source table, neither was anyone else. Also what is interesting is that the change sequence number is the same from when I first updated my record . This looks like it verifies the behaviour in the documentation but not how I expected it to. Also every 5 minutes, records comes in again with the same change sequence number. Look at the data. Notice that the same change sequence number appears and that every 5 minutes it is reinserted. Is this normal behaviour? 

MoeyE_2-1721089508891.png

If I download the latest records withing the last 30 mins or so and search for one sequence number, it appears 12 times

MoeyE_3-1721089854274.png

I looked at the Replicate console at 10:32 AM, the last update was 30 minutes ago so I'm not sure why I keep getting messages in Kafka with the same change sequence numbers. Looks like the changes are in fact being replayed. 

MoeyE_4-1721089991787.png

I did this experimentation because a customer was actually getting the same issue and I couldn't recreate it till now. I checked the logs and no errors or issues.

Regards,

Mohammed

Labels (2)
2 Replies
MoeyE
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi,

Just an update. I increased target_apply logging to verbose and found that at the time that the updates come through, there is some message related to metadata. Perhaps this is likely what is happening. Metadata is being refreshed every 5 minutes, resulting in messages being sent to the target for the updated records.

MoeyE_0-1721091421382.png

Regards,

Mohammed

DesmondWOO
Support
Support

Hi @MoeyE ,

Thank you for reaching out to the Qlik Community.

To better address your issue, I recommend that you create a support ticket so we can gather more information and investigate further.

Regards,
Desmond 

Help users find answers! Do not forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up!