Qlik Community

Qlik Sense App Development

Discussion board where members can learn more about Qlik Sense App Development and Usage.

Highlighted
wdchristensen
Valued Contributor

Format Date Dimension 'MMM YYYY' (QS April 18)

I am trying to get my line chart to show the date as something like 'Jan 2018'. If I create a pivot table, I can get this representation by simply putting the formatting in the formula like: Date(MonthStart(DateOfEvent), 'MMM YYYY')

For some reason when I put this in the line chart it renders as m/d/yyyy. I suspect there a feature that is overriding my formatting but I am not sure where that setting can be changed. Ideally I would like to change the formatting at the object level and not the application level. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Tags (1)
2 Replies
wdchristensen
Valued Contributor

Re: Format Date Dimension 'MMM YYYY' (QS April 18)

I tried using:

Month("DateOfEvent")&'-'& Year("DateOfEvent") AS MonthYear

but that kills my sorting so I was considering loading:

Dual(Date(MonthStart(DateOfEvent), 'MMM YYYY'), Month("DateOfEvent")&'-'& Year("DateOfEvent") AS MonthYearDual

The hope is that I can use the text for the visualization and the number for the sort. I am resorting to the classic trial end error method. I thought that I should be able to use MonthYear in the visualization and just override the sort with a custom expression but for some reason when I apply a filter it scrambles the sort order. This seems like it should be a quick fix but it is turning out to be rather time consuming...

merola_faria
New Contributor

Re: Format Date Dimension 'MMM YYYY' (QS April 18)

Try using just :
MonthName("DateOfEvent") as MonthYear

It give you a date field in format jan 2018, fev 2018, etc, that you can use for visualization and sorting.

visualization.JPG