Partner - Contributor III

Introducing: The GINQO Master Item Manager

Last Update:

Apr 18, 2019 12:08:13 PM

Updated By:

albertovarela

Created date:

Jan 22, 2019 1:30:45 PM

Managing Master items can be time consuming. Master Items can also become difficult to maintain and validate as more are created, risking consistency in your development. To solve this issue we created the GINQO Master Item Manager to help you work more efficiently with Master Items. 

Try our new Master Item Manager extension (https://github.com/GINQO/Master-Item-Managerand we look forward to to hear your comments, feedback here!

What is it?

• The GINQO Master Item Manager (MIM) is a simple utility tool meant for creating, updating, or deleting Master Items based on an Excel file.  That Excel file can be used to define the Master Items across multiple applications.
  • The MIM can also be useful for exporting Master Items into an Excel file for review/validation.
  • After adding Master Items to a template file, you are able to reuse them among other Sense apps
  • From a table object,  you can decide which Master Items you want to be added to your Qlik Sense applications.
  • Using Qlik's associative engine, Master Items can be organized into your application by means of tags, name, descriptions, etc.

Why was it built?

• The Qlik Governed Metrics Service (https://developer.qlik.com/garden/57655702febb2ca54e7149d2😞
    • has not been further developed and is not working for the latest Qlik Sense releases
    • It requires installation of additional software and might not meet the security requirements in your environment
  • Master Items are slow to create but are frequently reused
  • Some customers use the same data sources, meaning same metrics
  • Customers have requested this feature to manage Master Items themselves
  • Occasionally you might create duplicate Master Items and be unaware of it.
Who is it for?
  • Developers who are reusing Master Items across multiple applications
  • Customers who want more control over their QS environment
Comments
mr_barriesmith
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Thank you.  Are you planning to join Trusted Extension Developers?

IQ0
Contributor II
Contributor II

Newlines in Master Items fields are not parsed correctly when loading the generated CSV in Excel (this is an Excel issue). However, this issue limits the use of this Extension. It would be great if the  Extention would also export to XLSX format.

MARUn0
Contributor
Contributor

You're a lifesaver. The most useful extension I've ever met. Thank you so much!

maxwell_marchand

Thank you @MARUn0! Really appreciate that kind feedback from you.

Did you know the GINQO Master Item Manager is now working on Qlik SaaS? May be interesting if you are a SaaS user or plan to be on the saas eventually!

Regards,

Maxwell.

0 Likes
bc5891
Contributor III
Contributor III

Also, one more question.  The initial upload of all the expressions works great - however, when I add a measure my steps are as follows:

- create measure in template and give it a unique ID

- refresh application

- I highlight it in the master measure table in the front end.

- I then press synchronise

When I do this is says measures were created - but nothing happens.  Any thoughts on this?

ogatchell
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thank you @MARUn0!. 

After loading GINQO MIM extension, loading script and data (from Template), then using QuickTable, I select the Dimension and Measure tables as instructed followed by Get My Table!

Is GINQO expected to import Dimension and Measure data directly from the App Master items or from the Template, which has sample data?

In the process I follow, Template sample data is loaded into QuickTable. 

Oliver

0 Likes
Version history
Last update:
‎2019-04-18 12:08 PM
Updated by: