Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

AJAX or Plugin

Hi Qliksters...

I'd like to take some comments or feedbacks about how do you roll out your QV applications.

Whether it's in ajax or plugin?

Knowing that in future, QV will work only in ajax? i'm not sure how true is this, are there any supporting doc on this?

I have not really use the QV applications in ajax, are there any known issues compared to plugin?

would be great if anyone can highlight the PROS & CONS of AJAX.

As much as maintenance and support are concerned, i'd go for ajax.

One of the main reason is that, we no longer need to give advance notice to the IT team to prep the SMS package for the users so that they can "push" the new version of plugin to all users. and i mean, world wide users in different geographical locations and in different languages. the advance notice took a long time, and by the time, the next sr might be out.

Please share your thoughts, any comments, feedbacks are appreciated.

Thanks.

qlik qlik ...

Labels (1)
13 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Miguel Angel Baeyens wrote:

Hi Nick,

This has been long discussed in the forums, and I can send you to previous discussions here and here. You have already pointed out the obvious reasons for both, specially for Ajax: it does not require any installation client side. This is, I'd say, the main pro. The main con is that it's not completely WYSIWYG yet, so if you want fidelity to the original development, use Plugin.

But it's not only about visualization, but about network, performance and reliability as well.

To summarize links above:

• Plugin is WYSIWYG, allows more macros and is usually faster.
  • Ajax does not require installation, only a browser, works in mobile devices as well

Hope that helps.

Miguel

At the moment, I would re-phrase the bullet points :

• Plug-in always works fast
  • Using AJAX for the same application on the same browser is ALWAYS MUCH too slow. 

It seems like the application is performant (with the plug-in) but really unacceptable if we try to use AJAX.  We need to know what can we do to speed up the behaviour under AJAX so that it matches the performance with the plug-in. 

Not applicable
Author

We strictly use Ajax in our environment and other than look and feel from the client being slightly different it is not too bad.  Large Data sets will require you to be able to regression test your application.  Memory and multicore processors are very much needed for a decent amount of data.  With the webview feature in the client it is pretty easy to see what your app will look like.  We have slight alignment issues from client to ajax view that requires our dev team to make sure things look visually better.  Also please be sure your users are on the latest browsers.  Chrome, IE 9, Mozilla, etc..  Most of our users are still on IE 7 and IE 8 and we have issues with newer Ajax features sometimes. 

Not applicable
Author

Not applicable
Author

Just now discovered that with IE Plugin your web ticketing system won't work. If your using web authentication system to integrate qlikview with your web page, that does not work with IE Plugin. It only works with AJAX, so IE Plugin is not an option for those people anymore.