Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dtronel
Contributor III
Contributor III

Best practice to run batch program before and after QlikView reload ?

Hello

Current solution is unique V10 Server

My main problems are :

1 - How to run a batch to get files from various local or remote locations (copying using network drives or using ftp commands) to get the source file on the server BEFORE starting the loading ?

=> When trying to do an OnOpen trigger using action External/Run and then "CMD.EXE /C myprebatch.bat" : it does not work

2 - How to run a batch to execute some actions AFTER finishing the loading ?

2a - one desired action is to store document on a network drive => Direct store does not work as a server local store is OK, so i just want to add a copy.

2b - another action is running an .XLSM excel macro file to change the result display generated by QV.

3- Is it possible to trigger a reload based on effective presence of a file (To be deleted immediately once the load is complete) ?

Is there somewhere a document complenetay to the user manual to explain with some real examples (and also prerequisites or points to take care of) ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Denis

3 Replies
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Denis,

For running a .bat file I have successfully used the EXECUTE command in the script - just place at the start and end.  For the external file event I "think" this might be possible using Publisher.  Otherwise search in this forum for using EDX and you can use just about any trigger you want.

Hope this helps,

Jason

dtronel
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Jason

First of all, thanks a lot for your reactivity.

Can you provide me an example of script using (successfully for you) the EXECUTE command ? This is just to save time by avoiding errors wrongly using quotes/brackets/commas….

I did find EDX could be the solution, but I also need to investigate a little bit more to catch the correct way to use this feature.

Thx again

Rgds

denis

De : Jason Michaelides

Envoyé : lundi 2 avril 2012 12:45

À : TRONEL, Denis

Objet : - Re: Best practice to run batch program before and after QlikView reload ?

QlikCommunity<http://community.qlik.com/index.jspa>

Re: Best practice to run batch program before and after QlikView reload ?

created by Jason Michaelides<http://community.qlik.com/people/jason.michaelides> in Deployment and Management (Server/Publisher/AJAX/IE/Web Parts) - View the full discussion<http://community.qlik.com/message/206490#206490

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

From the F1 help:

Execute

With the execute statement it is possible to run other programs during the re-execution of the QlikView script, e.g. conversions that are necessary.

The syntax is:

execute commandline

where:

commandline is a text that can be interpreted by the operating system as a command line.

Examples:

Execute C:\MSOffice95\Excel\Excel.exe;

Execute winword macro.doc;

Execute cmd.exe /C C:\BatFiles\Log.bat

Note:
The /C needs to be included as it is a parameter to cmd.exe.

You also need to ensure you check the "Can Execute External Programs" checkbox in the Settings tab of the script.

Hope this helps,

Jason