Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wgonzalez
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Data Reduction Using Section Access

Hi,

I'm having issues with my implementation of Section Access.  It is performing an unwanted data reduction.  In the Presentation qvw, it is reducing by Function field which is not intended.   It it doing this even though I'm in the SA table with ADMIN access.  The reduction field is SUPVID.  Please see table and attached image.

ACCESSUSERIDPASSWORDNTADMINACCOUNTSUPVID
ADMIN**AM\ADMIN1*
ADMIN**AM\ADMIN2*
ADMIN**AM\ADMIN3*

ACCESSUSERIDPASSWORDNTACCOUNTSUPVID
USER**AM\USER112345
USER**AM\USER267890
USER**AM\USER324681
USER**AM\USER4*

See attached image of data model.

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
craigleach
Partner - Contributor III

There are only 3 SUPVID values listed in the SA table. The * value will only match those 3 SUPVID values. Are there more values?

Craig

View solution in original post

4 Replies
craigleach

There are only 3 SUPVID values listed in the SA table. The * value will only match those 3 SUPVID values. Are there more values?

Craig

wgonzalez
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Craig,

The values in the table above are examples only.  There are several ADMIN users and ~ 50 SUPVID values in the real data model.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

I would recommend reviewing the following Design Blog post, and there are some additional links toward the bottom of the post, one is a You Tube video on how to make the Section Access table visible in the data model to do some further testing on the reduction fields.  

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/A-Primer-on-Section-Access/ba-p/1465766

Here is Help link too:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2020/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/Security.htm

The key thing you must understand is * means according to data you are loading, those users will only see SUPVID 12345, 67890 and 24681, that is it, * only includes the other loaded values, any other values will not be included.  If you leave the SUPVID blank, that should work in Desktop Client, but if you try to use that user to open via Server, the app will not open if Strict Exclusion is set in the document properties, just FYI.  You would need to create a reduction value for all values or something along those lines in that case.  Hopefully this gets you on the right track.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
wgonzalez
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi.

In this case the intended final result is to provide access to all data for users with asterisk in column SUPVID, those with specific ID in that column should only have access to data records having a matching ID number.  I’m wondering why it’s not working.  Everyone is viewing everyone’s records.

Could anyone advise?  Thanks.

wgonzalez_0-1628089302364.png

This a sample data model for my question.