Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Help me understand CAL Licens

In Qlikview Management Console I can see CALs under License. I always thought that named user under "Assigned users" is my list over users that have access to Accesspoint. We have 32 CAL but when I checked today there is only 6 assigned. Last week there was 32 names in the list. I´ve asked one person not in the "Assigned user" list to try access Accesspoint and it worked out fine.

We have 32 CAL (named user). "Allow licens lease" and "Allow dynamic CAL assignment" is checked.

Can someone please explain how this work?

/Hans-Peter

8 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Hans-Peter,

You are mostly correct about CALs. If I understood your question correctly, you are asking why your list of 32 "approved" users is not permanently listed under "Assigned Users" in the Management Console. The reason this is happening is because you have "Allow dynamic CAL assignment" checked. This allows a user to "borrow" a Named User CAL as needed--when the user is not using the CAL, it gets returned to the pool of available CALs. If you prefer to manually assign the 32 CALs to your 32 users, uncheck "Allow dynamic CAL assignment" and assign all the users manually under the "Assigned CALs" tab. Do not, however, uncheck "Allow license lease" because that controls different functionality altogether.

I hope this helps,

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Does the Cal become available immediately, or is it subject to the 24 hour lock similar to when you manually reassign a user?

Not applicable
Author

Using Dynamic CALs, when a user logs off is the CAL immediately available again or is there a wait period?

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

The Named User (the one who was logged on) will keep that CAL for 30 days unless you delete it from the management console. Logging off does not free up the CAL.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Is it possible to shorten the release time of the license? Because 30 days is to much in my situation.

Is there also a possibility to disable the one day waiting time when a license is released?

Regards

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Simon,

I don't think that's possible, no. Those limitations were put in place to protect the basics of the license agreement. Perhaps you should consider more flexible ways of licensing QlikView, like a combination of Session CALs and Usage CALs.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

.....I would be careful here as I think you may breach the End User Licence Agreement

Regards,

Gordon

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

@simon

Cal Assignment can be removed within 24 hours from the point of last access.

Provided that particular user didn't logged in for 24 hours.

where as 30 days is the case with license leasing.

If you lease license from server then it will be valid for 30 days.

If not leasing you can release the license Immediately after 24 hours of time.

Hope this Helps

Regards

ASHFAQ