Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjbom1990
Creator
Creator

Lost connection to server, reconnecting

Hi guys,

I am lost, I am having problems with losing connection to the server while having a document open via the accesspoint. This is always happening around 4-5 minutes. I am not able to pinpoint it exactly. Of course I have searched the internet in hope of finding a solution but alas..

QlikView server version 12.10.20400.0(IIS), office 365 SSO.

It is happening on any browser ( chrome, IE, Edge, Firefox)

any location (IP)

even from local host (via formlogin)

Small and big documents.

We have traced it via chrome network log, nothing shows that a connection has been lost. I click on something after 4.5 minutes and it goes through this:

xQeMExh.png

output in events log.

20170703T165925.000+0200 20170705T092503.000+0200 4 700 Information Ticket created: Ticket (9ACD9F0BDB1453121032C70DC7F1289A0D757E0C) for <USER>.

20170703T165925.000+0200 20170705T092503.000+0200 4 700 Information Ticket Lookup: Ticket 9ACD9F0BDB1453121032C70DC7F1289A0D757E0C was found.

20170703T165925.000+0200 20170705T092503.000+0200 4 700 Information Server: Document Load: Beginning open of document

20170703T165925.000+0200 20170705T092503.000+0200 4 700 Information System: Document Load - ODE1: Document <LOCATION>, AuthenLev(1). Authuser()

20170703T165925.000+0200 20170705T092504.000+0200 4 700 Information System: Server - UpdateSharedFile: updating DONE for document <DOCUMENT LOCATION>

20170703T165925.000+0200 20170705T092504.000+0200 4 100 Notice CAL usage: Using CAL of type "Named User" for user "<USER>". Named user cals in use: 2

20170703T165925.000+0200 20170705T092509.000+0200 4 700 Information System: Server - UpdateSharedFile: updating DONE for document <DOCUMENT>

I have added

<system.web>

<httpRuntime executionTimeout="900" />

<sessionState timeout="20"></sessionState>

</system.web>

to the web.config

in opendoc.htm of QlikViewAjax I added a constant ping of 1 minute

in config.xml

<QvsTimeout>7200</QvsTimeout>

<SessionCookieTimeOut>7200</SessionCookieTimeOut>

<ClearCachePeriod>7200</ClearCachePeriod>

<StatusRecheckInterval>7200</StatusRecheckInterval>

<HighlightThresholdMinutes>7200</HighlightThresholdMinutes>

Document timeout is 60 minutes

Allow only one copy of document in memory is turned off..

Possible session timeout is unlimited

maximum total session time is unlimited

TCP and HTTP timeout has been set to 15 minutes instead of 4 minutes. (azure)

IIS timeout has been set to 20 minutes.

I have no clue were to look next. Does anyone has an idea, if any of the text is above or you need more information please ask, help me qlikview forum, you are my only hope.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jjbom1990
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Praveena,

We have. I hope it is the same solution for you as it was for me.

I have not seen this documented anywhere but in

System --> Setup --> QlikView server --> general

There are 2 fields shown. URL and Link Machine Name.

We have the URL set as follows

qvp://<Server name>/

and the Link Machine Name as de external link in our case

<customer>.<our company>.com

From what I understand is that this makes sure the qlik server understands were to communicate with the user. I hope this fixes the problem for you as well, it did for us.

Jasper

View solution in original post

8 Replies
michael123
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi,

What does the session.log give as exit reason for those being disconnected?

Have you increased the logging verbosity to high on the server?

/Michael

jjbom1990
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Michael,

The logging verbosity is indeed set to high.

Because I set the session timeout to unlimited yesterday nothing has shown for today. In previous logs it states no session expired or something like that. It does seem that it creates new sessions for the same document. which seems odd

michael123
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi Jasper,

Have you checked the IIS logs for any information? Personally I find the webserver logs difficult to interpret but there could be some hints.

Perhaps you should file a ticket with support on it. Haven't worked in Azure with QV so it might be something there making it lose connection.

Had a similar problem a couple of years ago with an older verion (low SR of 11.2) where connection was lost and reconnected automatically with a new session without closing the previous one resulting in 2 concurrent sessions for the user. This was later fixed by upgrading to newest SR after several sessions with QV-support.

jjbom1990
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Michael,

It does seem that the old session can not be found or something, because it creates just a new session as you said. I am going to dig into the IIS Log. I have already raised a ticket as well

Thanks,

Jasper

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jasper Bom,

Have you found any solution for this..

I am facing similar issue

Regards

PM

jjbom1990
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Praveena,

We have. I hope it is the same solution for you as it was for me.

I have not seen this documented anywhere but in

System --> Setup --> QlikView server --> general

There are 2 fields shown. URL and Link Machine Name.

We have the URL set as follows

qvp://<Server name>/

and the Link Machine Name as de external link in our case

<customer>.<our company>.com

From what I understand is that this makes sure the qlik server understands were to communicate with the user. I hope this fixes the problem for you as well, it did for us.

Jasper

Anonymous
Not applicable

when you say customer.companyname.com , it had to be a specific machine?

My users often use dashboards for presentations and the talking points that tend to extend long periods of time.

I tried adjusting maximum inactive session time to 3600 seconds but it seems after 4 -5 minutes when moving to the next topic i get a "reconnecting to server" kind of embarrassing in a BOD meeting.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hey guys, couple of comments, regarding the Link Machine Name field in QVS settings, please note this is for IE Plugin clients in that we hit the webserver to get the doc lists, but when you go to open an app, a JavaScript in the backend actually builds out the QVP url for the client to make a direct TCP connection to the QVServer.  The issue is where users are outside the internal network, or there is a network load balancer in front of the webservers, these can cause issues with the resolution of how the client and server should establish their connection.

For further documented knowledge, check the QMC Help, it is pretty good on this point:
https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/November2018/Subsystems/QMC/Content/QV_QMC/QMC_System_Setup_Qli...

Now, on to timeouts, I noticed you referenced changing the QVSTimeout setting in the Config.xml, note that setting is deprecated at this point, the replacement setting is the SocketTimeoutInSeconds, which when using IIS, you set via the Application Settings applet in the IIS Manager on the website under which the Qlik directories are running.

Article on SocketTimeOutInSeconds:
https://support.qlik.com/articles/000038943

There are some other items covered in the article as well that may prove useful.  Hopefully the additional information may prove useful, but the key thing to understand is the connection between client and server is stateful, if anything in the connection changes, that will cause a reconnection message on our side, so network load balancers can cause issues if their timeouts on session state are lower than the timeouts you have configured in the QVServer settings...

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.