Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oehmemat
Contributor III
Contributor III

QVD Encryption

Hello Community,

we are thinking about activating qvd encryption to add another layer of security (If someone should be able to get access to the files. )

I already read some threads and the documentation, but there is one thing thats still unclear to me:

Does qvd encryption prevent the possibility to read qvd's with Qlikview Desktop or are they only accessible for the Distribution Engine?

And is it possible to make encypted file accessible for e.g. developers by adding the certificate to the User Store?

Thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sebastian_Linser

Hello @oehmemat ,

According to the help site https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/May2021/Subsystems/Server/Content/QV_Server/QlikView-Server/QVS...

You can open the qvd with Qlikview Desktop but first if you distribute the certificates and adjust the settings.ini file.

For QlikView Desktop, the settings.ini file can be found in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\QlikTech\QlikView.

You would add the same you had in the server settings.ini

enableEncryptQvd=1

encryptionKeyThumbprint=563888bb6aea55eb0d33d9d8b909e0d2ef26ffbd (note its a random key from the help page)

And import the certificate into My Current user in the certificate manager. Steps are explained in the link above.

So in short it will be only available for the distribution engine per default but can be adjusted later on for qlik sense desktop if the access is needed.

best regards

Sebastian

Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you! 🙂

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Sebastian_Linser

Hello @oehmemat ,

According to the help site https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/May2021/Subsystems/Server/Content/QV_Server/QlikView-Server/QVS...

You can open the qvd with Qlikview Desktop but first if you distribute the certificates and adjust the settings.ini file.

For QlikView Desktop, the settings.ini file can be found in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\QlikTech\QlikView.

You would add the same you had in the server settings.ini

enableEncryptQvd=1

encryptionKeyThumbprint=563888bb6aea55eb0d33d9d8b909e0d2ef26ffbd (note its a random key from the help page)

And import the certificate into My Current user in the certificate manager. Steps are explained in the link above.

So in short it will be only available for the distribution engine per default but can be adjusted later on for qlik sense desktop if the access is needed.

best regards

Sebastian

Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you! 🙂