Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnmart61
Contributor III
Contributor III

QlikView screen freezes in both Chrome & Edge after a few data selections

We recently upgraded from QlikView April 2019 to May 2021. Upgrade went smoothly and all QVWs run correctly - but only on Internet Explorer.

If we open a QVW through the Access point on either Chrome or Edge, the screen tends to freeze after a few data selections. If I select a few filters then maximize a chart, the app will not allow me to change any data selection. Nor can I click buttons, change charts, minimize the open chart, or do anything else except refresh the screen. Which puts me back to the beginning with nothing open or selected.

This behaviour does not happen using Internet Explorer with the IE Plugin - only if we use Chrome or Edge.

If this can be fixed by a setting, please let me know. This was not an issue in the older version of QlikView.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Albert_Candelario

Hello @johnmart61 ,

Thanks for posting.

I know there was an issue when moving columns on tables that could lead to the app freezing and this will be fixed in the next May 2022 that will be out shortly. So you might want to test the new version when is out to check if it resolves the remaining issues you have mentioned.

Cheers,

Albert

Please, remember to mark the thread as solved once getting the correct answer

View solution in original post

20 Replies
Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@johnmart61 

I am moving this to the QlikView board instead. 

Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@johnmart61 

Do you get the issue when you are using Ajax in IE (not the plug-in)?

Does it eventually "unfreeze" or do they have to close the browser?

johnmart61
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I switched my TEST Access point to use Ajax instead of the IE Plugin in IE. The problem now occurs there too. So IE with Plugin – no problem. IE with Ajax has an issue.

Just discovered that the freezing occurs after I export a chart to Excel. In Excel, I turned on a setting to Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE). I was then able to send a report to Excel without hanging QlikView. Unfortunately, the Excel spreadsheet exported was blank. When I turned the setting back off, Excel exported fine but it hung QlikView.

Another new discovery. It only happens for our two biggest QVWs. Smaller QVWs don’t seem to have the issue. Even if I export a huge Excel file from a small app, the problem does not occur.

This looks like some kind of memory issue. We are all using PCs with at least 16 GB of RAM. Also, this did not happen with the older version of QlikVIew.

johnmart61
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Additional info discovered. This is not just related to Excel and exporting. If I open a tab in a QVW, click on a Multibox and right-click in the drop-down to Search - that also freezes QlikView in Chrome / Edge

johnmart61
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Our Tech team has just pointed out something further. From a QVW, if I open Developer Tools in Chrome (F12) and go to the Console tab, then select a drop-down in the QlikView QVW and right-click in the list of values, the following error appears. This looks like a programming error in the latest version of QlikView. The floating menu does not come up.

johnmart61_0-1634754796389.png

Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@johnmart61 

It sounds like you have two different  issues. One that the AccessPoint freezes and one that export to excel does not work? Or does the freeze only happen when you do the export?

Can you take a look at this?

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Knowledge/Unable-To-Export-Large-Objects-To-Excel/ta-p/1711909

Other than that I think you need to open a support case. 

johnmart61
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for your help. I applied the Settings change in the link you sent but with no change.

Both problems seem related. Doing something in a QVW - sending a chart to Excel or right-clicking a drop-down - both cause the QlikView app to freeze. I'm sure it's related to pop-ups & security. Control passes to the pop-up but the pop-up never appears. Control never comes back to the main QlikView screen so the app appears frozen.

I will open a support ticket with Qlik. I was hoping this was a simple settings fix but it seems more complicated.

Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@johnmart61

Can you make sure that you include a link to this thread in the case. Thank you!

johnmart61
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Just to keep this up-to-date:

I installed QlikView version May 2021 SR2. Previously we had version May 2021 IR. The Service Release fixed the problem with right-clicking in multi-box drop-downs. The pop-up menu now shows up and our users are able to search and select data filters without issue.

Unfortunately, we are still having problems with exporting reports to Excel, which is something our users do a lot. Even for fairly small charts, when they are exported to Excel, they now export much more quickly. However, after the Excel spreadsheet has been read, saved, closed or whatever, the user is unable to return to the QlikView application. Any attempt to change data filters in Ajax now leads to a new error:

johnmart61_0-1644864218861.png

This is a different error than was previously showing up with the multi-box problem.

So, slightly improved but not working properly yet.

All functions work fine in Internet Explorer with the IE Plugin software but more of our users have Chrome with Ajax now.