mike_spada
Contributor III
Contributor III

RAM usage on Front End or Back End?

Hi guys,

i have a question: I want to install QlikView Server on two different machines:

- DSC and QMS, QlikView Server and Distribution Server on Server1

- Distribution Service and QVWS on Server 2

because I want to separate RAM usage: I want that users that use Access Point use RAM on Server 2 and the RAM on Server 1 is dedicated to scheduled reloads, etc...

I have not Publisher.

Is this the correct configuration or I had to change something?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If you don't have a Publisher license, you cannot unbundle the QlikView architecture. You may be able to move QVWS and/or the DSC to another machine, but those don't make much of a difference.

The main separation of duties that would be of benefit to you when RAM is concerned, would be to put QVS and QDS on separate machines.

In addition to that, you specify a target architecture that has the QDS running on both machines.

For that you not only need a Publisher license but a Cluster license as well... And running a QlikView Distribution Service (QDS) on the same machine as the QlikView Server service may not be the solution you are looking for...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

RAM is mostly consumed by QlikView Server service. To a lesser extent, also by the Distribution service, depending highly on how the script is done. In any case, the computer hosting the QlikView Server should have more RAM, as a rule of thumb, because

• It will have more than 1 user
  • It will store each click into cache up to the working set low

The Distribution Service may need also as much memory but for shorter periods of time, again as a rule of thumb, because

• All reloads are performed by the same user (the account running the services)
  • The memory is released after the task is completed
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If you don't have a Publisher license, you cannot unbundle the QlikView architecture. You may be able to move QVWS and/or the DSC to another machine, but those don't make much of a difference.

The main separation of duties that would be of benefit to you when RAM is concerned, would be to put QVS and QDS on separate machines.

In addition to that, you specify a target architecture that has the QDS running on both machines.

For that you not only need a Publisher license but a Cluster license as well... And running a QlikView Distribution Service (QDS) on the same machine as the QlikView Server service may not be the solution you are looking for...

mike_spada
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you!

MS