cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m_woolf
Master II
Master II

Tasks reading Lotus Notes data are hanging

We are having a recurring issue where some QV apps that are loading data from Lotus Notes via ODBC are running for many hours, where they would normally finish in a few minutes. This causes our other scheduled jobs to get queued or fail. This started around 2/15/2020 and happens every 3-5 days.

My work around for this has been to restart the distribution server (I can't stop the distribution task). Then I have to manually re-run all of the tasks that were running, queued, or failed.

Any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
m_woolf
Master II
Master II
Author

Brett,

Thanks for your reply.

I have since discovered that instances of the Notes SQL driver process (NSQLE32.exe)are stacking stacking up in memory, even though each connection in script is followed by a disconnect statement.

I've worked around this by scheduling a killtask command to run twice a day.

We haven't had any problem with tasks hanging since, but this sounds like a hack instead of a solution.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Need a lot more info in order to provide further guidance, about the best I have for you is an article I put together on best practice settings for the QMS/QDS services that might help, but I cannot say for sure given lack of details such as version you are running, architecture of the environment, where are the app data folders, are the services clustered....  All of this detail makes a huge difference in trying to help you on this one.

QMS/QDS Best Practice settings 

Scaling QlikView Publisher 

About the best I can offer with what you have provided.  The other key thing to be reviewing is what is going on in the actual Task log for the task in question and the associated Document log too, as those may provide clues too.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
m_woolf
Master II
Master II
Author

Brett,

Thanks for your reply.

I have since discovered that instances of the Notes SQL driver process (NSQLE32.exe)are stacking stacking up in memory, even though each connection in script is followed by a disconnect statement.

I've worked around this by scheduling a killtask command to run twice a day.

We haven't had any problem with tasks hanging since, but this sounds like a hack instead of a solution.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

The other thing you could try is specifying the Disconnect in the QV load script too, that might help in this case, but I suspect the issue may be in the Notes Connector, so you may want to see if there is anything on the IBM side of things too, updated Connector etc...

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2019/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/Scripting/Scrip...

Thanks for shouting back, I am going to mark you last post as the solution, but if you figure out something better, feel free to post, and I can unmark and remark the new post etc...

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.