Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Time Constraint not working for long running tasks

Hi,

I have a task which is dependent on 15 other tasks finishing before it runs.  Those 15 other tasks are long running tasks that have been taking anywhere from 9 hours to 14 hours to complete.  All 15 tasks start at the same time, so they all complete roughly within 5 hours of each other.

My problem is the task which is dependent on those 15 tasks does not get kicked off.  We set up the task so that it is started "On Multiple Events Completed" and each tasks is set to "Task Finished Trigger".  We also have the Time Constraint value of the task for 720 minutes.  My assumption is that as long as the 15 tasks complete within the 12 hour window (720 minutes) then this task should start.  But this isn't the case.  In today's run, all 15 of the tasks finished between 6:00 AM and 10:00 AM, but the next task did not start.

We are running on version 11.20.12235.0 on a 64-bit machine with 32 cores and 512 GB of memory.

Any help would be appreciated.

6 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You don't use two of the "On Multiple Events..." triggers, do you? In SR10 a bug was fixed that blocked the launch of a task when two or more of these triggers were present in the same trigger list. Apparently, you are still running SR5.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Does it work if you increase the Time Constraint to 14.5 hours (e.g.870 minutes) or more?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Peter,

I have not tried increasing the Time Constraint.  I could try that next to see if it makes a difference.

Assuming it works, does that mean the Time Constraint is not simply looking at when the trigger events end?  That is my current assumption. 

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

That's what we are going to find out... I guess you assume that the Time Constraint specifies the maximum delay between the end of the first task from the Multiple Event list and the last task from that list.

In reality it may be the delay between the start of the first task in the list of Multiple Events and the end of the last task in that same list. It took the delay of the longest-running task and added 30 minutes.

Not applicable
Author

Time Constraint

Choose a time limit, within which all of the tasks have to complete their execution, by entering the desired number in theMinutes text box.

Default value: 360

, meaning 6 hours.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/12.0/Subsystems/QMC/Content/QMC_System_SupportingTasks_QVDCreat...

Not applicable
Author

have you got the answer