Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Try to understand the use of FileSizeMultiplier, userRAMratio for Ram Sizing

Hi Forum/Friends,

I was trying to understand the step for sizing the RAM requirment for QV Installation part.

Suppose we 30 Concurrent Users

Formula

RAM = (RAMuser × No. users) + RAMinitial

Where
RAM?initial = QVWsizedisk × FileSizeMultiplier; This is the initial RAM footprint for any application
RAM?user =?RAMinitial × userRAMratio; This is the RAM each incremental user consumes
QVWsizedisk = SourceData × (1 - CompressionRatio); This is the size, on disk, of a QlikView file
Assumptions: userRAMratio: range between 1%–10%
FileSizeMultiplier: range between 2–10

Caculation Part of Ram Requirment as follows of following configurtion part:-
SourceData : 50GB
CompressionRatio : 90%
FileSizeMultiplier: 4
userRAMratio : 5%
No. of concurrent users: 30

QVWsizedisk = 50GB × (1 - 0.9) = 5GB
RAMinitial = 5GB × 4 = 20GB
RAMuser = 20GB × 5% = 1GB
Therefore, the RAM footprint to support 30 concurrent users in
this deployment would be: RAM = (1GB × 30) + 20GB = 50GB

My Understanding

SourceData : 50GB                                    (This is Database Size: ok)

CompressionRatio : 90%                            (This is Qlikview Compression Ratio of data which is 90%: ok )

FileSizeMultiplier: 4                                   (This is Part I am not able to understand?)

userRAMratio : 5%                                    (This is Part I am not able to understand?)

No. of concurrent users: 30                        (This Number of Concurrent User: ok)

QVWsizedisk = 50GB × (1 - 0.9) = 5GB     (This if database size is 50 GB on compression 90% it becomes to 5GB in QV: ok)
RAMinitial = 5GB × 4 = 20GB                    (This QVWsizedisk x FileSizeMultiplier: ok)
RAMuser = 20GB × 5% = 1GB                  (This RAMinitial x userRAMratio: ok)
Therefore, the RAM footprint to support 30 concurrent users in
this deployment would be: RAM = (1GB × 30) + 20GB = 50GB     (This RAMuser x No. of concurrent users: ok)

So, In short can I get help to understand the following

What the use of FileSizeMultiplier, userRAMratio ?

Why FileSizeMultiplier = 4 and userRAMratio = 5%?

Why not FileSizeMultiplier = 5 or 3 and userRAMratio = 4 or 12 ?

It will be very helpful if any body can explain me with simple example.

Advance Thanks

SD

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

1. You can check multiplier with opening your QV application. For example QVW file size in the disk = 70 MB.

When you opened the file, application takes 240 MB of RAM. so multiplier = 240/70 = 3.4 ~ 4

2. When new session is opened additional 5% of RAM will be utilized by the application.

Sample:

First user open the application, 240MB

the second open the app, 240 +5% = 252

third 252 + 5% = 265

fourth 265 + 5% = 278

and so on..

You can calculate approx. RAM you need for the app by users count , app size in memory and userRAMRatio

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

did you check this scalability doc?

Not applicable
Author

Yes, But I could'nt understand the exact meaning.

Can you please help me.

ADVANCE THANKS

SD

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

FileSizeMultiplier point to multiplier of the application in RAM (range 2-10). Range can vary in application complexity, so you need to check the multiplier by opening the application and check the RAM utilized.

userRAMratio  - point to how much additional RAM will be utilized when the new user will open the application in the server.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Konstantins,

Thanks for response. I want little bit more help from you as follows:

1. How to check the multiplier and RAM utilization in the application.

2. How we will come to know about RAM utilization when the new user open application in the server.

Advance Thanks

SD

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

1. You can check multiplier with opening your QV application. For example QVW file size in the disk = 70 MB.

When you opened the file, application takes 240 MB of RAM. so multiplier = 240/70 = 3.4 ~ 4

2. When new session is opened additional 5% of RAM will be utilized by the application.

Sample:

First user open the application, 240MB

the second open the app, 240 +5% = 252

third 252 + 5% = 265

fourth 265 + 5% = 278

and so on..

You can calculate approx. RAM you need for the app by users count , app size in memory and userRAMRatio

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi,

Did you check my links?

Regards

ASHFAQ

Not applicable
Author

Hi Konstantins,

Thanks you very much for explantion with example.

Thanks once again

SD

Not applicable
Author

Hi Konstantins,

I had developed on qvw named as sales.qvw where size of file is 1.1 MB.

As per information when I open it should be more the 1.1 MB i.e. about 2 - 4 or 3 - 5 MB but it is not.

I thougth If I load the sales.qvw in Access Point it may get increase. But not there also.(in Document folder)

But, FYI it create 2 extra files which is sales.qvw.Meta (Size 4 KB) and sales.qvw.Shar (Size 45 KB) .

So there is total 3 files i.e. sales.qvw, sales.qvw.Meta, sales.qvw.Share

As per your example If QVW file size in the disk = 70 MB.

When we open that file(qvw), application(qvw) takes 240 MB of RAM. so multiplier = 240/70 = 3.4 ~ 4

But that does'nt happened here. Can you please explain me. How I can see the effect.

Or you can give me some QVW file where I can see the effect by opeing the file in my QV desktop(Designer)

Because of your help I am very much near to answer. I want just some more help from you.

Advance Thanks

SD