Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miranrai
Contributor III
Contributor III

2 access points pointed to different folders

Hi,

I want to set up a access point which is showing documents from a particular folder and not any other documents on the server. I have clustered QMC which is pointed to one access point. For this , i have web server installed one of the clustered machines and i want to configure new access point which will not show other qvws and show particular qvws. Is it possible?

7 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I'm not sure I understand what you are describing... Clustered QMC? "...which is pointed to one access point..."?

A web service that manages the AccessPoint landing page and thumbnails gets the list of thumbnails to make available to the current visitor from the linked QVS. So the best way to filter the list of available documents for specific users is to not distribute those documents to those users. When configured like that, you can show a "virtual" AccessPoint that is different for every user.

If you have a Publisher, you can very easily define distribution strategies that push particular documents to - for example - User Group1 only, and other documents only to User Group2.

miranrai
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks Peter for your reply.

I have publisher. How to set up "virtual" access point ? And will this Virtual access point will help to show only that particular document and not other documents to users. My requirement is if user A has access x, y,z documents then i want to setup a separate access point so that user A can view only document z not other documents at all not even thumbnails of other document. can this be possible ?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If you have a Publisher, then it's just a matter of Distributing particular documents to specific users. Every publisher task has a Distribute tab where you can configure the destinations that should receive this document.

20171003 Publish to Named Users.jpg

If you select "Named Users" from the "User Type" list, and click the Users icon, you can add individual users to the distribution list that this document should be published to. All users not present in this list will NOT see this document in the AccessPoint. The AccessPoint thumbnail display will now be different for every user.

miranrai
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

okay, let me shade some light here. I have mobile dashboards and normal qv dashboards. Users have access to both dashboards. But they want to see only mobile dashboards not normal dashboards. So i am thinking if to set up a new access point for mobile dashboards so they dont have to see normal dashboards. so is it possible to set up another access point ? so that it will show only mobile dashboards not normal dashboards?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Don't think so, except if you launch/cluster another QVS and distribute different documents to different QVS. AFAIK there is also no way to show different document thumbnails depending on which client/device you are visiting the AP with.

As I said, the AccessPoint just shows what the QVS tells it to show. Two AccessPoints connected to the same QVS will show the exact same list of documents (unless you start to hack the authentication system. But that won't be cheap, license-wise...).

You can however create document categories called "Mobile" & "Desktop" and publish each edition of a document to the proper category. A simple AccessPoint listbox selection will reduce the document list to those that match the category name.

miranrai
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

My users dont want to see them at all. Even though i have categories already they are insisting not want to see other dashboards along with mobile. So is there any other way ?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Maybe just don't publish them to those users?