Skip to main content
Announcements
Customer Spotlight: Discover what’s possible with embedded analytics Oct. 16 at 10:00 AM ET: REGISTER NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

A problem with exists()...

Take this example:

Table1:
LOAD * INLINE [
Letter, Amount
A, 50
B, 75
C, 100
];

Table2:
LOAD *, if(exists(Letter),1,0) as 'Flag' INLINE [
Letter, Invoice Number
A, 1
A,2
D,16
D, 14
];

That will how the first D in table 2 as a flag of 0, and the second D will have a flag of 1 because it exists in that table. However, what I really want to say is:

"if Letter exists in Table1, 1, else 0"

Is there any way to do that? I don't see anything in the reference manual about specifying a table name in the exists function which shocks me... surely there is a way to do this?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I can't tell you if it's the best way as I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish. However, a standard approach is to add a copy of the key value to the first table, do an exists on that copy, then drop the copy.

Table1:
LOAD *,Letter as T1Letter INLINE [
Letter, Amount
A, 50
B, 75
C, 100
];
Table2:
LOAD *, if(exists(T1Letter,Letter),1,0) as Flag INLINE [
Letter, Invoice Number
A, 1
A,2
D,16
D, 14
];
DROP FIELD T1Letter;

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Seconds after posting this I realized I should probably just use MAPPING LOAD for the first table and applymap( instead of exists... but is that the best way?

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I can't tell you if it's the best way as I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish. However, a standard approach is to add a copy of the key value to the first table, do an exists on that copy, then drop the copy.

Table1:
LOAD *,Letter as T1Letter INLINE [
Letter, Amount
A, 50
B, 75
C, 100
];
Table2:
LOAD *, if(exists(T1Letter,Letter),1,0) as Flag INLINE [
Letter, Invoice Number
A, 1
A,2
D,16
D, 14
];
DROP FIELD T1Letter;

Not applicable
Author

So you're saying that since I can't specify a specific table name I should make a new table, give that field a different name, and and do the exists on that field? Not exactly perfect but still genius, thanks.