Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Actions x Macro

Hi,

QlikTech included actions in version 9.

Is there any special advantage of actions? If I want to achieve something simple like a selection is there a difference on performance if I use actions instead of macros? Would it be a best practice?

Regards,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Erich Shiino wrote:
Is there any special advantage of actions? If I want to achieve something simple like a selection is there a difference on performance if I use actions instead of macros? Would it be a best practice?

The best practice is to always prefer Action over Macro. Actions will perform better and are less likely to break between versions.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actions would be simpler to maintain as you would not necessarily need a coding background to support. We use Actions, but that could be because we have not yet had the requirement to do complex stuff beyond the simple things you can do via 'Actions'.

Regards,

Dinesh.

Not applicable

Hi,

Once more doubt added to Erich one is, Can we call a Action with some condition?

What i mean is, I have variable Var1, Default value of this Variable Va1 is '0'.

If this Var1 value changes to 1, call action 'Minimize Chart', if this Var1 value changes to 2, call action 'Activae sheet'.

Is it possible without macro?

- Sridhar

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Erich Shiino wrote:

The best practice is to always prefer Action over Macro. Actions will perform better and are less likely to break between versions.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You can assign Actions to the OnChange trigger for the variable. See the Document properties, Trigger tab.

Not applicable

Thanks for the reply rob.

If i`m not wrong, OnChange Action on variable will active the action when ever there is a change in the variable value.

But i`m question was, If my Variable value is 1 then activate "Minimize chart" Action, If 2 activate "Activate sheet" action, if 3 then activate "Clear" Action.

Is this possible?

- SridharYes

erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master
Author

Thanks for the answers!

Sridhar, I'm sure if you can create this king of conditions.

Maybe if you create a different post with this on the title you can get more people to help you out.

Regards,

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Interesting question. How can you do conditional actions? (without macro).

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Rob/ Erich/ Sridhar - I understand this is old thread. However, I am curious to know if variable actions work? I have tried OnChange event trigger to call a macro but its not working. I am not sure if I am doing wrong? Any help is really appreciated. Cheers - DV

brindlogcool
Creator III
Creator III

Hi,

I am also intrested in knowing any updates on this post