Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Aggregate figures by month

Hi,

in all of my apps I have one chart with shows the presence_quota, based on figures from our personell_database.

- There is a binary field (0 or 1) for every employee who is associated with a certain area;

- By just summing up that field, I get the correct nr. of employees every day.

<=> The problem is when I change the dimension from "day" to "month" (a standard feature of all my charts) and thus I need to
       aggregate the data.

- Currently I have the following formula:

>>>  aggr(sum({$<%Datum = {"$(= '<' & DATE(Today()))"}>}Anz_MA_soll), Monat))  <<<

(I don't want this data for "Today" because other data is not yet available, so it would not match and result in incorrect figures)

That, however, gives me gigantic figures. I just tried out dividing it by 28 - roughly the nr. of days in a month - and that results in plausible figures.

The issue - and the question - is, how can I build that into the expression since every month has a different nr. of days (and, even more so, working_days)

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I mean, in the expression which i had suggested, use the Max(Distinct Day) instead of Sum.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

HI,

You can create an inline table with months and days, just like below.

Load * inline [

Month, Days

Jan, 31

Feb, 28

March, 31

];

Now link this table with your Month Fields in the data model.

In chart if you have the month as dimension, you can directly divide it by days.

Sum(Monat)/Sum(Distinct Days)

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Kaushik,

I have a master_calendar with two fields which could be of use here:

- "Monatstag" (day_of_month) - that goes up from 1 to whatever, it is 7 for today

- "Monatstage" (days_in_month) - that is 31 for today

Could I use those? - keeping in mind that the aggregated figure for August is already on display today, but dividing by 31 would result in minuscule figures, of course...

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

Then you will have to use the max instead of sum.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Kaushik,

I just realized that is not quite going to work - the field "Monatstag" is a static field, not a function - so that only works with one day selected. Well, I can calculate it, it's just for the current month.

What do you mean with using max instead of sum?

Best regards,

Moritz 😉

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I mean, in the expression which i had suggested, use the Max(Distinct Day) instead of Sum.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

I don't understand - never mind. I made it now, I think - for all the past months, the field from my master_calendar is good. The challenge is only the current month - and there I can use

>>>  (num(Today() - Monthstart(Today()))+1) <<<

That will give me a 7 for today, for example, and so the figure is plausible - I'd say it is correct, namely 35, about the same that I have in the other view, with the dimension "day".

I will close the thread.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler