Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Analyzing Current and Previous Year data (See description)

I have the data set where it has Year as a dimension. It has data for the last 10 years. Say from 2005 to 2015.

My client always wants to analyse the current year's data and previous year data.

Say, I have a Bar Chart which shows the Sales of each Product for 2014 and 2015. For Time being I just used a simple Calculated dimension =If(Year = 2014 or Year=2015,Year) so that other data will be suppressed as NULL.

Not just the above scenario. I have used {<Year=2015>} in various expression which I need to convert to current available Year data.

The least, I could think of is max(Year) and max(Year)-1. Is there any alternatives available for this?

Can some one throw a light on this about how to proceed with this problem? so that when I do incremental load, the current data and previous year will be taken.

5 Replies
ecolomer
Master II
Master II

Use a variable with value = Max(Year)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi. Yes. I thought about that and also added that to my question. But is there any other way? Like using variables?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Also. When I use max(Year) inside set, there is some error in my set expression. How to overcome that?

ecolomer
Master II
Master II

Can you upload file qvw or an example with your data?

Not applicable
Author

Hello,

You may do this with Set Analysis and variables. You need:

- Variable var_CurrentYear = GetFieldSelections(Year,True())

- Variable var_LastYear = GetFieldSelections(Year,True())-1

- Expression for this year (Example): =SUM({$<Año={'$(var_CurrentYear)'}>}[Sales])

- Expression for previous year (Example): SUM({$<Año={'$(var_LastYear)'}>}[Sales])

- Set the Calculation Condition of the objects using this Set Analysis to 'if(GetSelectedCount(Year,True())=1,1,0)' so it won't 'crash' when more than one year is selected.