Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryanhicks
Contributor III
Contributor III

ApplyMap increasing file size???

I am working on optimizing an application.  It is 800 MB in size and the issue it that is takes 60 GB to run the script (300 mill rows).

Well I did get it optimized (20GB) but now the file size is almost double 1,350 MB.  I have isolated the script that causes the increase I am just unsure as to why.

I have a date field stored as a numeric value (e.g. 123 = January 2007).

----EDIT--- The date field is not a timestamp, it is a 3 character numeric field----

I need to get the month name from this field so loaded all dates into a mapping table along with the month name into a mapping table:

MonthMap:

mapping load

TimeValue,

MonthName(TimeValueEndDate) as [Month Name]

from

..\TIME.qvd (qvd);

and then apply map in the load script:

applymap('MonthMap', TimeValue) as [Month Name]

this is what causes the increase in file size of 1,350 MB.

If I instead take this out and do a left join:

Left join (table1)

Load TimeValue,

MonthName(TimeValueEndDate) as [Month Name]

from

..\TIME.qvd (qvd);

drop field TimeValue;

The resulting file size is 805K (No other changes were made)

I can use the left join without a problem and have implemented this into the app but I am still concerned about the affect that the applymap had on file size since I use this alot in my development.  Any idea why the mapping load would cause that large of an increase in file size?

Message was edited by: ryan hicks

12 Replies
ryanhicks
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I added the Num to the mapping table, and used MonthName when i apply the map and the file size is still inflated.

Thank you for the suggestion though.

ryanhicks
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Unfortunately there are strict rules about me posting files from the workplace and the answer is not worth the potential backlash of posting files.  I do plan on opening a ticket with QT though. i wanted to see if anyone in the community had any thoughts first.

Thanks.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

If you get an explanation for the inflation sometime in the future, please post a follow-up here, would be interesting to know.