Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Auto filtering data when using TOTAL calculation

Hi guys

I am analysing a data set of Universities.  I have created a table and am calculating some summary data (such as the total number of students at the University, or percentage of students at that Uni which study Maths) using theTOTAL parameter in my formula and ignoring any selection the user has made - i.e. the result is a fixed parameter irrespective of any user selection

=sum(TOTAL <Institution> {$<Institution=, Subject=,Gender=>} Data)

and

=sum(TOTAL <Institution> {$<Institution=, Subject={'Maths'},Gender=>} Data) / sum(TOTAL <Institution> {$<Institution=, Subject=,Gender=>} Data)

On the same line in the table I have other expressions which do not ignore the selections the user has made, and I am also creating a ranking of Universities based on the fixed data (e.g. rank the Universities accordign to how many students they have studying math.

However, I have run into the problem that when the user selects a particular institution, where as previously other instituions would have been hidden, that is not happening.  I presume this is because teh calculations above still deliver a result irrelevent of the selection.

Is there any way I can have the user select an institution and all other institutions are hidden, but the TOTAL calculations above still show the numbers and rankings for the overall data set?

THanks

5 Replies
sasikanth
Master
Master

HI john
can you post a sample file

Not applicable
Author

unfortunately not, the data is sensitive. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Can you create dummy data that would also okay.

Thanks & Regards

Kiran K.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Can you create dummy data that would also okay.

As per my knowledge Total will just ignore dimension which you used in Chart but it will consider all filters.

If you want to ignore both sum( {1} Total Sales ) use like this.

Thanks & Regards

Kiran K.

Not applicable
Author

hi guys

I've created a dummy file.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/76323590/Sample.qvw

Here is the raw data which underpins the file

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/76323590/Testing1.xlsx

In this Sample, 'Total Students at Uni' and 'Total Engineering Students' are static values.  I want these to be calculated based on the base dataset ignoring any selections (i need this because I'm calculating things like percentages for the Uni and creating rankings based on the percentages)

I then have a calculated value 'Number of Engineering Students Employed in User Selected Sector' which is calculated based on the user's selection

I want the user to be able to select an Institution (A, B or C) from the list and have the table hide the others.  e.g. if the user selects A, then rows B and C are hidden

Thanks