Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

AutoNumber & RowNo

Hello,

When I use AutoNumber() combine with RowNo() fuction together, my app broke down. I even cannot load the second "Route" table as I cannot went through the first load "Final_Inital" statement. This way works really well in a small set of data table. But I have hundred of thouands data in my table. It broke down the app and my computer.

Final_Initial:
Load
Case_ID,
[Receive Date]
AutoNumber (RowNo(),Case_ID) as Key2
Resident CASE_TEMP;

Route:
LOAD
Case_ID,
FR_STATE_ID,
TO_STATE_ID,
if(len(trim(ROUTE_DATE))>0, ROUTE_DATE) as Route_Date,
AutoNumber(RowNo(),%CASEIDKey&FR_STATE_ID&TO_STATE_ID) as Key
FROM ...

Does anyone know the reason or is there an alternative approch similar as the one shows above?

Thanks in advance,

Becky

20 Replies
sunny_talwar

marcus_sommer‌ -

There might be a better way to do this, but the reason for using AutoNumber(RowNo(), Case_ID) vs AutoNumber(Case_ID) was this:

Case_IDAutoNumber(Case_ID)AutoNumber(RowNo(), Case_ID)

I was trying to create an incremental value for each Case_ID (Column 3), instead of creating a single value for each Case_ID (Column 2).

I hope it will clarify the doubts as to why I proposed one vs. the other. Again, I don't know if there is a better approach to do this, but there is definitely a difference between the two expressions.

marcus_sommer

Ah, I understand now which direction is wanted. I would do either AutoNumber (Case_ID & '|' & AnotherKeyField) as Key or a peek-solution like in the suggestion from Stefan (depending on which kind of number/Key is really needed).

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Preceding load is a new concept for me. If a preceding load needs to be used with SQL SELECT, or the script as below, then I don't think I have a preceding load.

LOAD *,
    month(EventTime) as EventMonth,
    year(EventTime) as EventYear,
     ;
    LOAD
    timestamp(timestamp#(mid(@1:n,3,12), ‘MMDDYYhhmmss’)) as EventTime
    FROM ...;

I only include calculations in my Load statement in the Data Model Layer after I built the Transformation Layer.

Load

Case_ID,

month(receive_date) as date,

From ....qvd;

I just tried RecNo() which behaved the same way as RowNo(). It stuck there after I started runing my script. There is no problem if I only use AutoNumber() like what Marcus Sommer suggested above. But the last step in the script-- Right Join wasn't work.

marcus_sommer

Which right join? Please post all relevant script-parts.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Hi Marcus,

It took me the whole morning waiting for run the script with AutoNumber(RecNo()/RowNo()......).

Here is the partial code for the RIGHT JOIN. Please find the original script from Sunny T in the attachment.

Right Join (FinalTable)
LOAD Case_ID,
Key2 as Key,
Receive_Date
Resident FinalTable_initial;

In Suny's sample qvw file, it working well. But if I keep the RowNo() within AutoNumber() in my app, I cannot run the script, it dead forever.

My actual app can function well, after I removed the two RowNo(), only keep the AutoNumber(). However the Right Join part wasn't work.

Thanks Marcus.

Becky

Not applicable
Author

Hi Manuel,

Thanks for your great idea. I tried to use the way you suggested yesterday. But part of my app wasn't working. Please see my response to Marcus for more details.

Thank you,

Becky

effinty2112
Master
Master

Hi yun,

There is a comma missing after the [Receive Date] field in your script. Try it again and let us know.

If that doesn't work try:

Final_Initial:

Load

Case_ID,

[Receive Date],

if(Case_ID<>Peek('Case_ID'),1,RangeSum(Peek('Key'),1)) as Key

Resident CASE_TEMP Order By Case_ID;

Regards

Andrew

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Yun,

Is this that you want?

I dont't use Autonumber, i used Date difference between receive_date and max date from route. Then I select only the rows with min difference.

See attached.

Regards!

marcus_sommer

The reason for the not working right join is that the Key is different - one time only the autonumber from Case_ID and within the other table from the autonumber of Case_ID and the From-To-fields. I think you want to avoid any duplications with your autonumber-key because the tables are 1:n related.

I think there would be really ways to create such a key but it will be probably easier to map your values instead of joining them: Don't join - use Applymap instead.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Manuel for your help. This is what I am looking for... to get each date based on each receive_date.