Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Automation of updating connect strings

If I have my connection strings in an include file, is there a way to automate the update of those files via an exposed API?  Specifically, the user name and passwords are encrypted, and because we periodically change passwords this may become a painful manual task.  If there is just the call to return the encrypted user name and encrypted password, that would be sufficient to allow the programmatic updates of a number of passwords.

Thanks,

Jeff

2 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I'm not aware of any APIs that could un-encrypt the password. The common practice that I've seen is to define "service" accounts that don't require frequent password changes. The problem is well known even outside of QlikView, and most companies, even excessively regulated, allow for "service" accounts with limited rights to keep their passwords without changes.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for your quick response.  While from the content of your answer I assume that we are on the same page, you stated, "APIs that could un-encrypt the password" where I wish to encrypt the user name and password (i.e. plain text user name to encrypt string, plain text password to encrypt string).  That was just to be clear.

Unfortunately, because of the regulations in our environment, even batch users have to have relatively frequent changes.  The routine I would like to be able to code would be for our central group to maintain the passwords for the batch users, since there are many systems and logons in our environment.

It would be nice, even if the encryption isn't in an API, if there was a standard by which QlikView followed in the creation of these encrypted strings such that we could mimic the process.

Thanks,

Jeff