Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Average count by day of month

I am trying to create a graph that will show the average people visiting per day of the month.  My data has number of visits per hour in a record (ie i have 8 records for day - one for each our of the day).  When multiple months are selected, I can not get my graph to work correctly.  I have an expression that calculates the average visit using avg(visits) with a dimension of day(shopping day).  This gives me the average visits per hour because my data gives visits per hour.  I can change the expression to sum(visits) and it gives me the total visits for all day 1's all day 2's like you would expect.  Is there a way to get the expression to calculate an average per day even though my data records have visits per hour?  I tried to change th expression to sum(visits)/count (distinct shopping day) and it wouldnt display anything.

Any ideas??

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I would think that your idea of summing the visits per day of month across all selected month and then dividing by the number of distinct dates (shopping day is a date, right?) is ok and should return a value.

(By the way: If you use field names like shopping day (including e.g. spaces), I think you have to enclose them with square brackets, like [shopping day], I assume you just missed that in your post?)

If your shopping day is a timestamp, you will probably need to use a count(distinct daystart([shopping day])).

I would also create the day / month / year / daystart fields all in the script.

If you still have problems, maybe you could either upload a small sample app here or describe your data model and dimensions and expressions used in the chart a bit closer.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi ,

Could you please share your data and sample output

BR,

Anitha

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I would think that your idea of summing the visits per day of month across all selected month and then dividing by the number of distinct dates (shopping day is a date, right?) is ok and should return a value.

(By the way: If you use field names like shopping day (including e.g. spaces), I think you have to enclose them with square brackets, like [shopping day], I assume you just missed that in your post?)

If your shopping day is a timestamp, you will probably need to use a count(distinct daystart([shopping day])).

I would also create the day / month / year / daystart fields all in the script.

If you still have problems, maybe you could either upload a small sample app here or describe your data model and dimensions and expressions used in the chart a bit closer.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

This seemed to be the key:   If your shopping day is a timestamp, you will probably need to use a count(distinct daystart([shopping day])).Thanks