Qlik Introduces a New Era of Visualization! READ ALL ABOUT IT
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Bar chart help !

Hi

I need to create a bar chart for every 6 months sales. I have a date field. How can I create a dimension (extracting from date field) for every 6 months interval on X-axis ?

For ex: Jan-2008, Jul-2008,Jan-2009, Jul-2009 so on…

Many thanks

4 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I'd add another field into the Calendar table and calculate an extra field that can be used as a dimension.

I'm sure there is more elegant way of calculating it, but at the moment all i can think of id this:

date(if(month(Date) <7, YearStart(Date), YearStart(Date, 0, 7) ), 'MMM-YYYY') as SixMonthsBucket

You can use the same formula in the chart, but it might be too heavy for large data sets.

cheers,

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Oleg..That's working fine.

One more small question. When i added that dimension to bar chart..iam getting 'SixMonthsBucket' values from Jan-2004 to Jan-2011. If i want to see only from Jan-2008 onwards...what will be the expression ?

I tried the below code in the expression but still getting same values from Jan-2004.

Code: If(SixMonthsBucket>'2008',SixMonthsBucket)

Many thanks

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Have you considered creating an independent Year-Month number using the autonumber function in your script.

In other words, create a line in your calendar script, such as:

autonumber(date(monthstart(Date), 'YYYYMM'), 99) as YMNum,

This orders all the dates in chronological order, due to the YYYYMM and then uses the autonumber to give each Year-Month value an independent ascending numerical value.

Then you can use set analysis against this number, such as:

sum({$<YMNum={$(=max(YMNum)), Year=, Month=, Day=}>} Sales) for the latest value and

sum({$<YMNum={$(=max(YMNum)-N)}, Year=, Month=, Day=>} Sales) for any year-month value N-months prior.

This technique allows you also to cross the Year divide line without the typical problems associated to making a selection on Year, e.g. if I use set analysis to go YMNum & YMNum-1, and my end user selects January of a Year, the 1st column will show Jan of the year and the 2nd column will show December of the previous year.

Hope it helps.

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You can do it in a couple of ways... I usually prefer to alter the Expression and not to build complicated Calculated Dimensions - those had proven to be quite heavy.

What I'd do in your case is add a Set Analysis condition in your Expression - something like Year={">=2008"}. This will rule out any numbers prior to 2008