Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Best Practice for Allowing Super-User to Create Own Dashboards?

Hiya Guys,

I work for a Global Company - and we would like to give one Super-User (in each Country) the ability to create (and publish?) their own Dashboards (ideally like an SSRS solution);

If anyone can help with the following points I would be most grateful:

1)     Would the Super-User just create a blank Sheet on an existing Dashboard and develop from scratch using the existing data? (we do not want to open the can of worms of allowing Users to create their own datasets!);

2)     How would permissions be controlled? (for only certain Users being able to create new objects, and then publish(?) their Dashboard once finished?);

3)     I have never been able to work-out if, when a user chooses a Selection (or moves Objects around/resizes/minimises/etc) via the Access Point, if those changes are then seen by everyone, or only the User who made the changes... can anyone clarify how this works?;

4)     Could this development be done via the Access Point? - or would each Super-User have to install a local version of QlikView on their PC?;

Are there any best practices for achieving this?  Is any of this possible?

Cheers,

Steve.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

It appears that no one has any better ideas - and perhaps it is not something which should be implemented in QlikView.

First of all I need to ensure all current Objects are locked - and then I may be able to look into allowing certain Users to add their own Sheets for testing purposes at a later date.

If I come-up with a better solution I will post it here.

Cheers,

Steve.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

*BUMP*  🙂

I take it no one has any ideas on this?

Cheers,

Steve.

Not applicable
Author

Hiya paulyeo11,

Thanks for your response - you are the only person to reply in nearly a month!  🙂

Giving a "Super User" the .qvd file would mean they would have to have QlikView Personal Edition on their local machine?... this is not an issue - although they would not have permission on the Server to publish their Dashboard.  Perhaps they could submit it for approval - which may not be a bad idea, although it takes the "ownership" away from the User (and also slows the process down substantially).

I am beginning to believe there is no 'best practise' solution for what I am trying to achieve - so all crazy brainstorming ideas are welcome!

You have set the ball-rolling, paulyeo11, so thank you for that - and you have started me thinking on a different route... which is always good!  Much appreciated  🙂

Any alternative ideas of how to possibly achieve this?

My guess is that the final solution will be somewhat of a hybrid of all suggestions!  When I implement a working solution I'll post it here for future reference.

Cheers,

Steve.

Not applicable
Author

It appears that no one has any better ideas - and perhaps it is not something which should be implemented in QlikView.

First of all I need to ensure all current Objects are locked - and then I may be able to look into allowing certain Users to add their own Sheets for testing purposes at a later date.

If I come-up with a better solution I will post it here.

Cheers,

Steve.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Steve,

I work in a Global Company where we have approximately 200 QV users spread in offices around the world.

I have a good track record on letting the local users/super users make their own sheets in existing QlikView applications. My experience is, that the users only need a very short introduction to the basic functions (copy tables, add dimensions, etc.) before they are able to gain a lot by making their own charts and tables. This gives a lot of flexibility to the business users and it saves me a lot of time on building specific tables and charts for each user. I can highly recommend this model.

Though, I haven't experienced any user yet making a good looking Dashboard. Typically they have more practional needs and just wants to add a dimension or two to an existing table/chart.

And don't worry about users messing up the original documents; Sheets and charts made by a user will only be available for that specific user.

Good luck.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you lhan,

That is very helpful!

I will have to explore this idea and see how it works in our environment.  Currently, I have created a "Dynamic Pivot Table"-building Dashboard which works very well for giving Users raw data... but if they require anything further (ie: graphs, etc.) then they currently have to export the data into MS Excel and take it from there.

I appreciate your imput - it's good to know this is a suitable model for empowering Users!  🙂

Cheers,

Steve.