Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Bug? Nordic (æøå) characters garbled using $INCLUDE and UTF-8 encoded .qvs

[Qlivkiew 11.20 SR3, using -prj folders]

My source files contain field names using Norwegian characters.

I am moving scripts out of the QVWs and into QVS for improved version control (Git), and encountered the following issue:

When using Norwegian/Nordic characters in a QVS that is stored with UTF-8 encoding, I get garbage letters back when executing the script. It runs fine when the same text sits in the QVW.

I have a partially successful workaround by saving the QVS as Windows-1252 instead, so this seems to be encoding-related. But, this is not a solution as it confuses my version control, and, UTF is after all the new standard and this should frankly load without issues.

Screenshot from attatched example QVW, where the same data is loaded twice, with different results:

utf8vs1252.png

The two .qvs files contain inline tables with identical data (different table/fieldname to separate on load), but have been saved with the respective encodings in an external text editor (Sublime Text 2):

Table_UTF8:

LOAD * INLINE [

Encoded_with_UTF8

æøå

];

Table_1252:

LOAD * INLINE [

Encoded_with_1252:

æøå

];

The QVW load script has these lines:

$(include=utf-8.qvs)

$(include=1252.qvs)

My questions are:

- Is there a way to specify which encoding should be used when $INCLUDE-ing (similar to when you LOAD/STORE)?

- Anyone else is able to reproduce this?

- Could it be a bug in Qlikview? And if so, how can I report it to Qliktech? I can not find any "submit case" section in my Customer Portal.

3 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Clarification: If I leave the script in the LoadScript.txt file, I have no trouble with æøå, this only happens when including the script from a .qvs file.

vadimtsushko
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi

I have same problem and was forced to use 1251 charset in my QVS scripts almost year.

Recently I've discovered that QlikView works corrently with UTF-8 encoded qvs files if they have BOM header.

I have almost same toolset as you - Sublime Text and git and it works for me.

In Sublime Text: File / Save with encoding / UTF-8 with BOM

erikkorme
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi,

I can confirm that the issue is still present in Qlikview 11.20 SR6. It does not matter if you use the prj-folder or not, I have the issue without it at least.

Vadim's solution works for me too, saving the qvs as UTF-8 with BOM ensures that nordic characters are loaded properly. I've had this problem in other programs (Visual Studio/C#) as well, so this might actually be a Windows-issue, not Qlik-issue. Still it should be handled, though.